Power On Password

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

my friend has a serious problem he forget his power on password on a toshiba tecra m3.tried the dongle in lpt port no luck tried removing the cmos battery no luck.

any ideas on how to solve this as the laptop is a very good one any ideas people.

just to be clear i turn the computer on it loads a bios screen for about 1 second then asks for password i cannot get into bios or boot from cd or usb stick ???

any help much apreciated.

Thanks Scott

Removing the BIOS Password

Follow one of the procedures below to remove a BIOS Password. See the section 'Setting the BIOS Password', above, to determine which type of BIOS your computer has. Once the password is removed, the computer will no longer prompt for a password when it's started. Removing the BIOS Password requires you to enter it first. If you cannot recall the BIOS Password, only a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider can remove it.

ESC Key BIOS Password removing procedure

1. Starting with the computer fully off, turn it on by pressing and releasing the power button. Immediately and repeatedly tap the Esc key. The computer will display the "Password = " prompt.

2. Enter the correct password, and press the Enter key. The computer will display "Valid password entered, system is now starting up. Check system. Then press (F1) key"

3. Press the F1 key. The BIOS setup program will appear.

4. Using the arrow keys or the tab key, move to the password field, and highlight REGISTERED.

5. Press the spacebar, enter the correct password, and press the Enter key. The Password field will change to NOT REGISTERED.

F2 Key BIOS Password removing procedure

1. Starting with the computer fully off, turn it on by pressing and releasing the power button. Immediately and repeatedly tap the F2 key. The unit will display the "Password = " prompt.

2. Enter the correct password, press the Enter key. (You may need to press the F2 key after you hit the enter key.)

3. The BIOS setup program will appear.

4. Using the arrow keys, move to the Security tab, and to Set User Password.

5. Press the F5 or the F6 key to navigate to the Password section. Enter the current password at the Old Password prompt, and press Enter. At the New Password prompt, press Enter (without typing anything into the password field). At the Confirm Password prompt, press Enter again (without typing anything into the password field). The password should now be removed.

6. Press F10 to save and exit from the BIOS Setup program.

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaS...=bb51&url=&dialogID=202909&stateId=1 0 200406

Ha ha, he has already said he cant remember it, so thats not gonna help :)

cheers for the info chouguard but i was looking for a way not to pay toshiba any money ..

n e more ideas

I had a laptop not long ago that had a simular issue. It was an HP, but has a BIOS password. The problem is, the password is stored on a separate chip on the mainboard, and no matter what you do, removing the battery, flashing the BIOS, it won't help, simply because the password is not actually stored in BIOS. From what I've read, there are a few ways you can try to remove it, but the easiest way is to contact Toshiba, and prove that you are the owner, and then you will get a response back. After all, security is a major concern, so we can expect most newer laptops and computers to have this type of security. Moral of the story is, this is one password you don't want to forget. Good luck.

By the way- I wasn't able to reset the BIOS password on the laptop I mentioned. Luckily, it didn't lock the hard drive from booting, so it's not a major issue- I informed the owner of what they will have to do. Let me know if something works though.

Cheers for the info people looks like im going to have to pay toshiba ....

before i do does anyone know if buying a new security chip for my motherboard would work and any ideas where to get them from in the uk

My guess is, since it's a security chip, if you remove it, it may make the laptop useless. If your friend is the owner of the laptop, then they should have no problem with Toshiba. Now, if he/she doesn't have the sales reciept, or proof of purchase, then you're pretty much at the will of Toshiba. It won't be long before someone is able to remedy this type of security- but it's going to take some time. Let me know if you are able to do this, it's a little extreme for me, but it would be helpful to know if it works. Another note- Toshiba is probably the only one you can get the chip from, meaning they got you no matter which way you go. Good luck- please let us know if you come to a solution.

ssc456 said:
Cheers for the info people looks like im going to have to pay toshiba ....

before i do does anyone know if buying a new security chip for my motherboard would work and any ideas where to get them from in the uk

Ya REALLY gotta know what your doing to replace them.

Back
Top Bottom