Having probs with my internet

ForeverNoobie

Solid State Member
Ive been having trouble accessing the internet, on and off, for the last few days. I dont think its a problem with my actuall connection because my router lights dont blink or flash or act weird. I think there is some sort of virus/software thats bothering my connection. Also when I opened internet explorer (I usualy use fire fox) a black dos box popped up and disapeared quickly... that was pretty strange.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Turn the pc on keep pressing F8, you will then see a menu and it should have safe mode there. If it doesnt then you will be in a boot menu (certain BIOSes have this) select your hard drive, press enter then start tapping F8 again and you will get to safe mode menu then.

As for which AV, i would suggest NOD32 available here for a free trial www.eset.com. Or if you want a free one then try AVG or avast

Well I scanned my comp and no viruses were found yet my internet still works on and off. Now I think it may be a problem with my computers ethernet hardware but im not sure. Is there a way to find out?

Yeah, goto a run command and type cmd to enter command console. Then do a loopback ping by typing ping 127.0.0.1 that will test the TCP/IP on ya computer. If thats ok then ping your computers ip address, that will test your NIC card. If you dont know your computers ip address, then type ipconfig, and it will be listed under ip address.

Ok I waited untill my connection started messing up then I started pinging. 127.0.0.1 and my ip address worked. I pinged my default gateway (it was listed when i used ipconfig) and it loss some of the packets sometimes and always took longer than pinging the other two addresses. I dont know if thats not ordinary or not.

Right so the TCP/IP on the computer is fine. When you pinged your default gateway, you were actually testing your router, so the problem could be with the router, cable, or your NIC. Did you not ping your computers IP address like i asked, and if you did then what happened?

But you lost packets when you pinged your default gateway (router), correct? If thats the case then its a problem with either the cable running from the pc to router, or the port the cable is plugged into on the router, or the router itself. So try plugging the cable into another port on the router (this is assuming it is a router you have). Then try another cable, and then try another router. After each change do the ping command to the gateway again and see if the problem is corrected eg. no packet loss.

Back
Top Bottom