wireless prob

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
alright so the last time i posted in this section was because my router kept kicking me off line, well that is all fixed now but here is a new problem.

my mom had recently gotten a laptop and it use to connect flawlessy to our D-Link Dl-514 router. now it doesn't connect at all. it just says "Aquiring IP Adress" but it never actually aquires it. it doesn't have to deal with rang because i had it sitting on my desk last night literally right next to the router and it still wouldn't connect and beside the router is a 2.4ghz which is pretty strong.

could it be something that is interfering with it or do i need to do something with the laptop. i'm not very could with networking :(

thanks.

was there any new additions to the laptop recently ... new software, Windows Updates, etc. Maybe Windows Updates found a new driver and installed it. Check the driver against what the manufacturer of the wireless card (i.e. Broadcom) has listed on their site ... or you can go to the laptop manufacture website and compare drivers.

It is strange that "all of a sudden" it stops working. Have you re-entered the wireless connection information (SSID, encryption key) and it still fails to connect. Have you tried connecting the laptop to a different wireless router with sustained success?

Are the settings in the wireless connection set for dhcp (obtain ip info automatically) or static? If it is indeed dhcp ... try statically putting in an ip address, subnet mask and default gateway of your network. You can get this information from another computer on the same network by using ipconfig /all. Just be sure to change the 4th number in the ip address (i.e. 192.168.0."x") from what you see on the other pc.

The above suggestions are just different ways to troubleshoot your issue. At least to figure out if its configuration ... or hardware needing to be replaced.

lol i'm sorry for you to write all that out. i was overlooking something that was so small. all i had to do was reset my modem and router and now its back to the strong signal :D

Back
Top Bottom