VPN Viewing and sharing files ???

cnl83

Baseband Member
I setup a VPN here at home. I have my computer XP PRO, and my laptop. I set the VPN on my home computer, and successfully connected. Now this is going to sound really noob, but how do I view the files on the VPN. The purpose for setting up the VPN is so I can share files. (TESTING THIS OUT FOR MY BUSINESS). I figured by dialing the addressin a browser, would send me to like shared files or something, but it did not.

any help would be great!

hi,

i dont know much about vpn but ive heard its similar to Lan if its not then this post is probable useless but..

very basic both or all computers must be set up to allow file sharing and on a LAN they must be on the same workgroup if this is the same as VPN there are several ways to view files on the other comps you could goto my network places and you would see shareddocs of the other computers or if they are not showing you can enter in any address bar (internet explorer or explorer) the name of the computer you wish to connect to prefixed by double backslash so on my LAN if i wished to connect to shared docs on my laptop from my desktop i would type \\scott-laptop\shareddocs. you may have to goto the computers files you wish to view right click and select sharing and security and ajust accordingly.

If VPN and LAN are different and that does not work then you may be able to do it this way open up my computer and click tools and select map network drive it will then ask for a letter which you wish to refer to this drive as it does not matter what you use and then it asks for the folder again you will have to put the computers name in ensuring the folder on the computer has sharing enabled. again the folder would be formatted as \\scott-laptop\shareddocs on mine you will substitute scott-laptop for your comp name .

I am sorry if VPN is different from LAN and the whole post is just useless but i tried .....

Scott

Back
Top Bottom