Network logon

david6789

Baseband Member
I purchased a used computer and the previous owner has it set up for network use (a user name and pass). I have the user and pass so thats not an issue but I dont want to have to log on every time I boot up. How do I take it out of network mode? Also will I lose all the programs that are loaded on the desk top of the user if I change it to stand alone?

Looks like you need to change from domain to workgroup.

First thing I would do is right click my computer>>manage>>expand local users and groups in the left pane>>right click users & select new users. Create a user account for yourself for the local machine. Give it a password, you can always adjust settings later to not require a password. Once the name is created it should show in the right pane. Double click it and select Member of tab. Make yourself a member of the administrator group. Doing this will ensure that you have a user account to log on to the local pc with after removing it from the domain and joining a workgroup.

Following is for XP Pro to leave domain and join workgroup (generally the same for 2000):

Right click My Computer>>Properties>>Computer Name>>Change>>Clear out name in Domain and type in something for workgroup. Apply and work your way out of the dialog boxes you have open and it will restart.

If the programs on your new desktop do not show up when you reboot into the workgroup, follow these steps:

Right click on the start button and explore all users. Windows Explorer should open up to all users. Find the user folder that you have been using prior to the change. Within that folder you should see a folder called Desktop. Copy the contents of the folder to the new user folder desktop folder.

Just got home and did all that you said. Works great but I still get a log on screen when I boot up and it still has the old owners info in there. I have to erase her info and put in mine.

Is there a way to make it go to desktop with out having to log on ever time?

Goto control panel and look in user accounts, then edit her details for yours

david6789 said:
Just got home and did all that you said. Works great but I still get a log on screen when I boot up and it still has the old owners info in there. I have to erase her info and put in mine.

Is there a way to make it go to desktop with out having to log on ever time?

To log on without a logon prompt, you need to make sure your account is the only active account, and it has no password.

Or do this
Disabling startup login prompt for password

1. Click Start and Run
2. Type "Control Userpasswords2" and press enter.
3. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
4. Click Apply and Ok.

Back
Top Bottom