I'm having trouble using internet through laptop

mrchainsaw

Baseband Member
I have a cable modem that connects to my PC. I just got a laptop and I took out the cord connecting the modem to the PC and put it into my laptop but I still can't get online. Any help?

Any time you change the connection from a cable modem, you have to unplug it for about 30 seconds, and plug it back up, and let it go through the cycle. Simply unplug your modem, plug the Cat5 cable into your laptop instead of your PC, and power on the modem. When it comes up, you should be able to get online. To solve this you should get a router, and you can add both and more at the same time.

pctechmike said:
Any time you change the connection from a cable modem, you have to unplug it for about 30 seconds, and plug it back up, and let it go through the cycle. Simply unplug your modem, plug the Cat5 cable into your laptop instead of your PC, and power on the modem. When it comes up, you should be able to get online. To solve this you should get a router, and you can add both and more at the same time.
I'll try that.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router but I need to fix the PC before I can install it.

EDIT: That seemed to do the trick. I had tried waiting after unplugging the CAT5 from the PC but I hadn't turned off and unplugged the modem. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom