Ethernet Nightmare

zachus22

Beta member
Hey,

I just reformatted my computer the other day to "hopefully" solve some internet issues I was having. Turns out, the reformat didn't solve anything and my computer still can't seem to recognize the ethernet cable. Funny thing is, when I hook my other computer up directly to the same modem through the same ethernet cable, it doesn't have any trouble getting to 100 Mbps.

Can anyone think of any possibilities as to why computer (A) doesn't work when using the SAME ethernet cable and modem as computer (B)?

My ISP has left me with nothing, so this forum is like my last hope.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using a cable grade that is suitable for the Ethernet Adapter that you have in the computer which is not receiving the signal?

Have you installed drivers for your Ethernet Adapter after you formatted?

Is your Ethernet Adapter working correctly?

Yeah, What He said :D It could be the adapter. You can buy them online at a very low price :D

I actually just bought a new ethernet adapter today, stuck it in my pc, and installed all the new drivers...nothing doing.

It appears there may be something wrong with the motherboard. I really hope not, because that would mean a fair amount of spending on my part.

The last thing that may help me out is the crossover cable my buddy is bringing me tonight. I pray, though are there any other ideas...?

did you install the drives for the motherboard? how about a seperate driver for the etherenet adapter attached to the mobo? you need these...

Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. Is ethernet enabled in bios ? What does "ipconfig" return from a command prompt ? In "My Network Places" is the setting "obtain IP address automatically" selected ?

omg, stop confusing him. zachus22... plz go to ur nearest comp retailer and ask them if u have a nic card installed. Thats the worst motherboard prob there can be. One nic card(Network Interface Card) is very cheap, easily attainable, and this si the main reason why most ethernets dont work.

Sorry if I sounded confusing, but what is he plugging the LAN cable into? Having him check the obvious seems logical before hauling his rig to a retailer.

Back
Top Bottom