Restart button not working?

gd0g

Beta member
Hi guys

Can anyone please avdvise how to handle this situation, my restart button for windows xp does not work? When you press restart the computer just turns itself off? Any advice to solve would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds Gary

Ok what happens when ya press ya power button on the pc, does that shut it down aswell or does it do something else? Has it always done this, or has it started happening recently?

start > control panel > power or something like that > find something in there that changes what the power button does.

borat_sagdiyev said:
start > control panel > power or something like that > find something in there that changes what the power button does.

Wrong that changes the power button, not the reset button (im pretty sure of that, correct me if im wrong) im here to learn aswell lol

gd0g said:
Hi guys

Can anyone please avdvise how to handle this situation, my restart button for windows xp does not work? When you press restart the computer just turns itself off? Any advice to solve would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds Gary
ooh i think he means the "turn off computer" dialog thingy. i know this may not sound relevant but it is, but how old is your pc?

hmmm, i never heard of the reset button option just turning off the computer. if you have the windows xp cd's, i would just do a sfc on it. just go to the dos promt, and once there put in "sfc" without the quotes.

then put in sfc /scannow

that will do a scan of all the system files and make sure they are not corrupt and in their original condition. if a file needs to be replaced with the original, it will ask you for the xp cd.

You say the reset button isn't working.
Two solutions.

1) Use this if the reset button the pc isn't working.
CONTACT MANUFACTURER

2) Use this if the reset button on windows isn't working (ONLY WORKS ON NT/2K/XP/VISTA)
Click Start
Click Search (or just get a search window)
Search for reset.exe (if it is not found download a copy from the net and
place it in the SYSTEM32 Directory.)
Search for shutdown.exe (if it is not found download a copy from the
net and place it in the SYSTEM32 Directory.)
If this doesn't work contact microsoft

Back
Top Bottom