It was the giant asteroid after all!

Brookfield said:
Sorry, but I still maintain it'll be as I have said, it will act the same as a powerful rocket engine, for every action there's got to be a reaction, the mass of an asteroid is mostly iron, immensely strong, so, even if they manage to bore a hole, the explosion even if it was nuclear, would only push in one direction, out of the borehole, an uncontained explosiion like a large firework rocket, & give an almighty shove to the asteroid, admittedly it wouldn't move much, given the size of it, but with no gravity, therefore no friction it would keep on going, yes, it would be great if it pushes it away from Earth, but that can't be guaranteed, as the explosion might have a side effect, & alter it's course towards Earth.

Can anyone else see that?, I've worked it out pretty logically I think.

I see what you mean. But we all know that explosion is an expanding thingy. So it needs space to expand, if there isn't any it will make some because of the huge energy released.
Let me draw what I'm thinking.

|----|
| b| asteroid with b marking the spot of the bomb.
|----|

|----/
|´´´| asteroid after explosion.
|----\

The part that broke off would be flying somewhere of course, but wouldn't harm earth. Now Do that 10 times and you won't have a big asteroid anymore.

Denier-of-Soup said:
Watch your language please. There are religious members on this board as well.

Watch my language? I dont believe I swore rofl. And for the Adam and Eve thing, it does threaten the bibel... even though i do believe in god to a certain extent plus we are in the 21 century people can believe what they want to believe ;) but that is off topic and what I said I dont think was offencive anyway, but sorry if so... :confused:

mammikoura said:
some are iron or other metals, some are mostly stone. Blowing up won't be easy, but I'd imagine a huge explosion like 20 (well depends how big it is) meters below the surface would atleast break a huge chunk off of it. And then several of those and we could destroy it, or at least make sure that it doesn't hit as 1 big asteroid, which would be very deadly. And the technology is there, a big nuclear bomb combined with the bunker buster technology might do the trick. Normal bunker buster bombs can go through many meters of reinforced concrete.

i think it will take much much more than just a nuke to alter it's state of trajectory. i think it would take something more along the line of having some way of forcing anti-matter and matter together to cause an explosion. if it came down to it, i think their will be some way to if not stop it, at least nudge it enough or break it up so that it does not hit the earth straight on.

Brookfield said:
sixty, or six hundred million years, not sure which.

well what ever the amount of time they were allowed, it must have been a very long one.

mammikoura said:
The part that broke off would be flying somewhere of course, but wouldn't harm earth.
There's no way of telling how big the part was that was broken off, at a guess, the minimum weight would be 1000 tons, remember it'd be a huge asteroid to have got such a response, next, it could be 2000 tons, so let's assume that these are the smallest fragments that would be chipped off such a gigantic asteroid, OK, now ether of those two, travelling at thousands of miles an hour, as has been calculated for the original one, if they hit Earth they'd do major damage, giant multitsunami's if they fell in the ocean, if they fell on land, the destruction would be immense, but hey, the biggie missed!!, hang on though where's the piece that was knocked off....oh NO, it's headed for........*silence*, floating up to heaven; who'd have thought that it would have headed this way, hello St Peter, hope you've got a very big book!

i already knew this

in fact, learned about it in 8th grade, and again about 2 months ago

Brookfield said:
There's no way of telling how big the part was that was broken off, at a guess, the minimum weight would be 1000 tons, remember it'd be a huge asteroid to have got such a response, next, it could be 2000 tons, so let's assume that these are the smallest fragments that would be chipped off such a gigantic asteroid, OK, now ether of those two, travelling at thousands of miles an hour, as has been calculated for the original one, if they hit Earth they'd do major damage, giant multitsunami's if they fell in the ocean, if they fell on land, the destruction would be immense, but hey, the biggie missed!!, hang on though where's the piece that was knocked off....oh NO, it's headed for........*silence*, floating up to heaven; who'd have thought that it would have headed this way, hello St Peter, hope you've got a very big book!

lol. I can't believe it, but you actually made me laugh. ;) (and no, this is not sarcasm) But you are right, it would be extremely hard to tell where the pieces would go or how big they would be. But even if all of those pieces would hit earth (very unlikely) it wouldn't cause as much damage as the huge one would have made.

And mr mixx, anti-matter bomb would be cool. But if I remember correctly with our ways of creating anti-matter right now it takes a few million dollars to create enough anti-matter to power 1 light bulb for 1 second.

yeah, i know that it's near impossible to create enough of it to make one, but i'm not giving up on the scientists..they will some day find a way.

mammikoura said:
. And a nuclear explosion inside the asteroid would definitely cause a lot of damage to it. Ever seen the underground or underwater nuclear tests? Lots of mass on top of the bomb, but still a pretty decent boom. Now those are normal nukes, shove 50 of them into 1 missile and the boom will be a little bigger.
Wouldnt you then end up with lots of little pieces of radioactive rock, or if it only breaks in 2-2 large pieces of radioactive rock heading towards earth which aint good

muz379 said:
Wouldnt you then end up with lots of little pieces of radioactive rock, or if it only breaks in 2-2 large pieces of radioactive rock heading towards earth which aint good

Yes, I believe some parts would become radioactive. But if it would brake into 2 pieces, I doutb they both would be hitting earth :p though it would be possible.

i wonder how long it wouuld take google earth to update after the asteroid strike

Back
Top Bottom