Are we living in a time of exploration?

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5252

I think within the next 20 years we will have plans to colonize mars, i'm sure of it. And then after we've hit mars we'll prob go out of the galaxy. And I bet I will hear of plans to leave this galaxy before my dieing day if not see them accomplished.

What do yall think?

I personnally feel that one day, some brilliant business man is going figure out how to make a killer in space weather it be importing some rare magical power source created from the dust or what be it, as soon as there is a praticial application to conolnizing space, it'll happen in 15 years, for where there is a will there is a way.

i'm sure that scientists are seriously starting to consider that the our home planet is going through changes. either they put their heads together and figure a way to reverse the damage that has been done by means of better ways to use resources.

the weather is changing, climates are changing and we could really use some direction on what our future resources are going to come from. i really would like to see them find a way to extract the hydrogen from water safely and be able to use it to power stations where our electricity comes from.

if anyone has seen that movie Chain Reaction, you know what i'm talking about.i do believe that one day we will at least try to teraform mars, but i dought it will be in my lifetime. scientists are already seaching out worlds out there that just might be earth like. colonizing the solar system would be a cool task.

Terraforming mars has been considered impossible because lack of magetic field.

true, but the need to explore will always be there. if not mars...i am thinking more along the lines of maybe one of the moons of the planets, who knows.

I think it would be a little sad that money was put into ways of exploiting other planets, rather than sorting out the mess we have made here.

There are many free sources of power, wind, wave, solar, um what #2 said etc. The trouble is, there is not enough money to be made out of them. Why do you think the majority of cars still use petrol? They are basically running on a technology from 100 years ago. Which the big companies find very profitable.

The Sheep said:
Why do you think the majority of cars still use petrol? They are basically running on a technology from 100 years ago. Which the big companies find very profitable.

Yep, at least when one of the earlier hydrogen powered cars was made, an oil company or something bought the copyrights to it's designs, and never started to produce it. They have the money to do that, if you invented something like that and they tell you "hey, here is $2 000 000 can we have the copyrights" I'd definitely say yes sure you can. Though there are countries (like Brazil I think) where most cars run on biodiesel. Also sweden is quite advanced in this, there (if I remember correctly) about 20% of cars use stuff like biodiesel instead of normal petrol.

/offtopic

Now to the original subject.

Within the next 20 years? I don't think so. During my lifetime, probably. The mission to build the outpost in moon will start in about 13 years, and is should be capable of supporting people for long perioids of time in 17 years. And they are going to start saving/spending money on this project in 2009. That's 11 years of nasas budget spent on this, now I bet going to build an outpost to mars will be at least 2x more expensive. Sure, if there REALLY is a need to do it the US government (or someone else) can dig up that kind of money fast.

And leave this galaxy, a power source won't be enough. The closest galaxy is so damn far away. Either teleportation/timetravel, or shrinking the space infront of the spacecraft and then again expanding it behind the spacecraft or then to find a stable wormhole, which still would mean that we need a very god damn fast spacecraft to get anywhere. Sure technology has come really far in the past 50 years, but I doubt we will be going anywhere out of our solarsystem in the next 100 years.

According to Stephen Hawking, in order to ensure the survival of the human race we will have to colonize other planets either within our solar system or in others.

If you were to ask me, i would project that we will not be sending humans to other planets within even 50 years but I do believe that we will one day reach the technology to make it possible for intergalactic space travel. I don't think I will be around to see it.

hahahaha as cool as this all sounds i think you guys been watching 2 much StarTreck. I mean dont get me wrong i am all up for the idea to go beyond and explore…etc but 50, 40, 30 years ago people thought the same thing, and belived that in about 50 years we will have flying cars and we will be living on the moon...etc and now after 50 years haz passed we are not even clouse.

yes one day we will have this things but i dought its going to happen anytime soon.

I do. I was at my Great Grandmas house this sunday and she was telling me how her mother would tell her anything is impossible. Because the day before the news of the wright brothers plane hit Germany, her father (my great great great grandpa, told my great great grandma man will never fly)

The next day she learned that a plane had been inveted and it flew.

So intergalaic travel within the next lets say 60-70 years? Possible I believe we can do it if we try. Also we want a colony on mars within 18 years. Thats what NASA prejects. Maybe the next president will fund more money to NASA. I know i'd found at least 10 billiom more. Which is all honsety is chump change for America.

i saw the Shuttle strapped to the back of a jumbo in '83/'84(?) fly over my school. i thought ''wow, this is it!!! man is going to travel now!!!''.
sadly, not much has happend since.
how can we really travel so far in 15 years time? i doubt it.

maybe if B.Gates decides space should be bought, maybe.....
or if the US Military decide to invade Mars for ''Rocks of Mass Desturction'' reasons? j/k

no, it's not going to happen for a VERY long time

Back
Top Bottom