Wireless internet sharing problem

muzman

Beta member
Right this is quite a long 'un so bare with me:

Recently bought a wireless-enabled laptop and already have a desktop computer with DSL broadband downstairs. I then bought a Linksys wireless router to connect my laptop to the 'net through the computer downstairs.

The desktop computer doesn't have an network port on the back of it though so the router can't be connected to the computer through an ethernet cable, and is instead done by a wireless connection with an adapter which plugs into a usb port on the back of the PC. The router is then plugged into the modem and after installing all the hardware both computers are able to connect to the internet.

However, after a short while, the connection is lost to the desktop computer but the laptop can still access the web. When you go into the Linksys network monitor thing it says 'the router can connect to the access point but cannot connect to the internet' or something along those lines. If you leave it long enough it sometimes eventually comes back, or alternatively, if everything is disconnected then reconnected it works again, but again the desktop PC loses the connection while the laptop is unaffected.

Anyone think they might know what's wrong. It's quite likely something pretty simple because neither me or my dad have much knowledge about networking and the likes, but can't seem to find about it on any internet forums and have tried fiddling about with pretty much everything on the computer. It obviously works because both computers can get the internet but why does it keep losing the connection to the desktop?!!

For anyone that's still reading, cheers! :D

well, many things can cause a loss in signal, is the desktop closer to the router than the laptop? Also, CD's and other metal stuff around the wireless USB adapter causes some signal loss. Can you check how strong your signal is from your desktop?

The router is right next to the desktop. You think this might be having an effect? And yeah you can check the signal, think it normally comes up quite strong but I'll check for definite tomorrow. Thanks

have you got a tv or hifi near by i no this sounds silly or a microwave things like this work on the same frequency @ 2.4Ghz and can break the wireless signal from router to pc.Also make sure the wireless access controll is turned of in your router setup th5s may be stopping your pc connecting, see if the pc mac address is recognised by the router it is highly unlikely but your pc and laptop may have the same mac address this would automatically knock a system off the network.

Back
Top Bottom