Virus help

V3RT1G0

Baseband Member
umm a friend has a virus and we are not able to take it off... i currently have AVG Free (latest) and trend micro internet security 2007... both are working and they say they take the viruses out which is a trojan horse virus if im right... itll tell you it got rid of it but the virus effects are still on the computer leaving me to think that the virus is still on the computer. i want to run some other apps, turn system restore off and uninstall some things but i get an error for trying to run anything at all except trend micro and internet explorer... everyting else doesnt work instead i get this message:

"The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Creat and association in the Folder Options control panel"

so i went to make exe a file extension and it didnt work... im in safe mode as of now and still everything is effected... what should i do? and is it the virus doing this or just a mistake my friend made?

Pop in the original XP cd, and go to start>run>type sfc /scannow
This is the Windows system file checker- it should replace all the files that possibly where modified. Before you do that, I would disconnect the Internet connection. It may be residing somewhere on the computer, and downloading itself again when the virus scanner picks it up. Disconnecting it fromt he Internet should stop it from redownloading. Run your virus scanners again, several times, until it shows no virus. If you keep getting virus alerts, the virus may be so new that there is not an update for it as of yet- your virus scanners know it's a virus, but don't know how to deal with it. Post back if it's still there after trying this.

pctechmike said:
Pop in the original XP cd, and go to start>run>type sfc /scannow
This is the Windows system file checker- it should replace all the files that possibly where modified. Before you do that, I would disconnect the Internet connection. It may be residing somewhere on the computer, and downloading itself again when the virus scanner picks it up. Disconnecting it fromt he Internet should stop it from redownloading. Run your virus scanners again, several times, until it shows no virus. If you keep getting virus alerts, the virus may be so new that there is not an update for it as of yet- your virus scanners know it's a virus, but don't know how to deal with it. Post back if it's still there after trying this.
what if he doesnt have the XP disk? his computer is like 2 years old from HP from circuit city who im sure wont give him one... i have a windows disk but its the media center edition 2005 one will that one work?

did you quarantine or delete it? I've found that if you delete it, sometimes it will come back and if you move it to the quarantine it won't infect your PC.

I doubt you can use Media Center Edition. Some of the files may be different- not 100% sure. Have you tried all the other options? Also, whoever you get your computer from, should give you a restore disc, or a Windows disc. If they didn't- then they could have some legal problems. Not having the disc doesn't give you the possility to reload- which is why you should have gotten a disc, in case something like this happens. Try the other options I listed, and see if it helps. Let's hold off on the system file checker for now.

Computer Genius said:
It is recommended to only have 1 Anti-Virus programme
That's true.... for the most part. I've found that if you have one that does realtime monitoring and one that doesn't you'll be fine. I use AVG free edition for realtime and BitDefender free as a backup scanner and that doesn't have realtime protection. I've never had a problem so far with the two of them. Where you really get problems is mixing programs like Mcafee & Norton. I've seen that done before and it wasn't very pretty.

actually no one really gives the XP disk... i had to request mine and my friend didnt ge his... so what am i left to do?

i found a fix for the exe thing... it was a registry edit which made it work but the trojan is still on there as a "Trojan Generic GG3" or something like that which AVG said it healed but i still think its on there as the computer is still lagging bad and he has some pretty high specs

Back
Top Bottom