Socket Errors GALORE!

ajrutherford

Solid State Member
Okay, I'm stuck. After a whole weekend of reading microsoft help pages, I'm no closer to figuring out what's going on.

Here's the deal. I work for a very small ISP. I'm the tech guy. When the tech guy is stumped, I think something must be pretty serious. Computer comes in, giving me all kinds of svchost errors. After a long time of trying to solve that one, I finally do a repair re-install of the OS, preserving personal files etc.

Not long after the reinstall I find myself sitting in front of a 10061 error, failed to connect to port 25 on smtp. Looking around proves pointless. Firewalls are turned off, multiple ISP's are used (other than my own ISP) to see if it's us and a weird fluke. Nothing... works. I'm stuck...

... Really stuck.

Today I get two phone calls from people experiencing the same thing. 10061 error. Is there something new out there, a virus or something that's locking ports 25 and 110 and all the other ports that AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Norton etc. are trying to use to get updates? I've tried everything in my repertoire, hijack this, manual registry snooping about, telnetting, reinstalling TCP/IP, reinstalling drivers... and so on and so forth. Please help. I am feeling really stupid.

well if you go through all the software and you're able to rule out a fault in the software maybe it's a problem in the hardware? maybe try swapping out NIC or something? maybe try setting up a small network with a server hosting smtp on port 25 and trying to connect to it through a network instead of going through your isp. good luck.

I just got another computer into the fray, exact same issue.

My boss and I both are beginning to think that a brand new virus is on the field. Is anyone else encountering similar issues, or have experience in hunting down viruses that anti-viruses can't detect?

Have you tried winsock fix? It's a small, free program that fixes alot of socket errors that cause various network connectivity issues. Just google winsock fix and you'll find it... it's gotten me out of several jams.

ajrutherford said:
I just got another computer into the fray, exact same issue.

My boss and I both are beginning to think that a brand new virus is on the field. Is anyone else encountering similar issues, or have experience in hunting down viruses that anti-viruses can't detect?

To check if it's a virus i'd first run hijack this and look for weird enterys. If none are found i'd try a bootable rootkit scanner on the computer.

Back
Top Bottom