MAC address question

iprefernerd

Solid State Member
There's a PC on my network that is taking my server's IP address. I've checked all the known PCs on the network, all of their IPs are set statically and none have this address, and I've checked the DHCP range to make sure the server isn't giving out that IP. I have the MAC address of the machine, but I would like to be able to get the PC name. Anyone know of a way to do that... a Windows command or third party software? I'm sure you can imagine what kind of grief this is giving me... any help is greatly appriciated.

The correct command to show the ARP table is to use ARP -a

This will show windows MAC address to IP address resolution. However this is nto exactly what you wanted.

I'd start by running a packet sniffer on the network and finding all traffic broadcasted by the MAC address. If it's running NetBIOS (Windows PC) you should be able to resolve the name easily to the MAC address.

However, a skilled person can easily fake all of this infomation.

DJ-CHRIS said:
The correct command to show the ARP table is to use ARP -a

This will show windows MAC address to IP address resolution. However this is nto exactly what you wanted.

I'd start by running a packet sniffer on the network and finding all traffic broadcasted by the MAC address. If it's running NetBIOS (Windows PC) you should be able to resolve the name easily to the MAC address.

However, a skilled person can easily fake all of this infomation.

Yeah and the arp -s command will allow him to change the IP address asociated with the MAC, check the link!

Back
Top Bottom