Blocking Programs/sites

lhuser

Golden Master
Well, this time, I am going to step in. I am going to force users at my house to use more specific sites and all.

Well, some sites are to be found inapropriate and some I would like my permission with the password to acess in.

First, let's use for example, I dunno, say www.idonthaveaname.com

This site contains harmful stuff that I won't like to deal with later. Well, IE can do that, but I don't want some poor security. I could use the Novell Client, but that thing slows down considerably the PC, so it's a no go, unless I really have to use it.

Next, I would like to block certain programs like Limewire and all that garbage. It's too basic and it, for some reasons, annoys the living junk out of me.
Is there anything that I can do to block the program? Not the site, as any other sites has it.

I use my wireless router to block URLs containing certain words, and also to block the ports that are used by programs such as Limewire.

There might be simpler ways of doing this, though.

That's the thing: My router will block 192.168 IP adresses. I just need to input the last two compartments, but it won't block any websites or something else. If someone experienced with novell or knows Novell good, they'd tell me.

If you want to throw a little money into it, you could get yourself a Sonicwall (firewall appliance). You can block just about anything with that. For considerably less money a Linksys router will let you block a few web sites (4 or 6 sites I think?). Of course there's always the content filter on IE if you want to type in a password to go to just about any website except microsoft.com.

I was an Administrator on a Sonicwall CSM for a few years.

It is a very powerful Piece of hardware. That will do the job for ya :D

Back
Top Bottom