server applications

ASSEMBLER

In Runtime
i have just installed server 2003 on a local pc at home not too familiar with it as i am just wanting to learn, as i am just studying my N+ how do i run programs from another pc that are installed on the server 2003. or should i say how set the programs (applications) to run on a client connected to the server.

ASSEMBLER said:
i have just installed server 2003 on a local pc at home not too familiar with it as i am just wanting to learn, as i am just studying my N+ how do i run programs from another pc that are installed on the server 2003. or should i say how set the programs (applications) to run on a client connected to the server.

Usually people do this with a terminal applications server.

You can run an app on a server and have the shortcut on your client pc, without having to use Terminal Services. As long as your server is on the same network as your client pc, all you have to do is drill through My Network Places to your server and find the .exe that runs your app and right click and send to your desktop.

When you go to the properties of your shortcut of the app, you will see a Target Line and a Start in line. These will have the pathname of your server i.e. Target line: <servername>\app\.exe Start in line: <servername>\app

Another thing you will probably need to do is go into trusted sites on your client pc's and trust the <servername>.com or ip address of your server.

Terminal Services is typically used when you have client pc's connecting from outside of your network and they've established the link via VPN or similar connection, then use Remote Desktop to create a session on the server to run the app.

CrossCech said:
You can run an app on a server and have the shortcut on your client pc, without having to use Terminal Services. As long as your server is on the same network as your client pc, all you have to do is drill through My Network Places to your server and find the .exe that runs your app and right click and send to your desktop.

When you go to the properties of your shortcut of the app, you will see a Target Line and a Start in line. These will have the pathname of your server i.e. Target line: <servername>\app\.exe Start in line: <servername>\app

Another thing you will probably need to do is go into trusted sites on your client pc's and trust the <servername>.com or ip address of your server.

Terminal Services is typically used when you have client pc's connecting from outside of your network and they've established the link via VPN or similar connection, then use Remote Desktop to create a session on the server to run the app.

Alot of applications don't like being ran this way, because they have not changed your registery and they have not registered DLL's.

All depends then I guess on what app is being talked about. If it's an accounting app like Quickbooks ... you can do it, if it's some program from 1995 you might run into an issue. However, if you have your server setup correctly and have permissions configured for users to access your server, then you can run quite a lot of apps from an App Server. Just takes a little elbow grease and know how.

The original thread author did ask how it was done, not which programs can and which can't. Just explained how you can.

no im afraid it seems it will not do via a shirt cut or the EXE program it just says the o/s is not configured for this program to run. But if i put a icon on the server from anther pc it will run on the server so i find it strange that it will not work the opposite way around, never mind you dont learn anything unless you try.
Thanks for everyones help.

you need a client server program.

thats a program that has one version that is installed on the server, and one version that is installed on the client. you dont need terminal services.

terminal services is for running desktops on a server. The main resion for using TS is for.

Running high bandwidth applications to cleints on low bandwidth networks.

allowing remote workers to use thin clients insted of destops, more reliable and less support due to to desktops having no OS and limited hardware

Assembler ... sorry it didnt work out for you with your particular software that you're running. It appears that the program you're trying to work with isn't compatible with Server 2003 to begin with.

You did have some success in trying my suggestion by going the opposite route, proving that it could be done. Just need to be able to install it on the Server 2003 box, which it looks like you can't

I have had success with various programs running from a server and redirecting shortcuts of .exe to client desktops in the way that I described above. However, they've all been compatible with Server 2003 and could be installed.

bilbus does bring up a point that many programs use a combination of server / client software.

Mind sharing the software you're trying to run?

ASSEMBLER said:
i am trying to share office 2003

Office 2003 does have a network install mode, you should research it a bit.

I believe you run the app off the server, but it still runs stuff on the local PC to register DLL's and add reg keys.

Back
Top Bottom