Network Issues

Compute101

BSOD
I wana connect two desktop computers to be able to create a LAN to play Warcarft 3 without being Online. I need steps in how to do it please
My desktop can already ping the wireless computer but my wireless computer cannot ping my wired computer

if both computers have network ports The easiest and cheapest way would be to buy crossover cable for about 5 pounds from a computer store, you should get at least 5 metred for this much.

you then need to then assign each computer an IP address . for two computers i use 192.168.0.1 for the first and 192.168.0.2 for the second, if using xp subnet masks fill automatically, i then just put the ip adress of the opposite computer in the default gateway form.

Then you just need to configure warcraft3 which i dont know anything about so somebody else may need to help here

lol ok, pug your router in, actuall you dont even need one.. if its just 2 computers just run a cable between the 2.

BUT you have one. so Plug it in. Hook the 2 cables to the computer, then to the router. Set up a network.

They are both running Windows XP?

you said you could only ping one way, is it possible that you have a firewall on one computer is blocking the ping request i came across that problem when setting up a wired network

if that is not the problem then .i dont know much about wireless networking that much so i dont want to give any advice because it may be wrong sorry about that was under the impression you just had two computers no router etc . hope somebody else can help

hmm, Im about to go to my girlfriends house, she has a laptop. Ill go screw around with it and find out for you.

in the mean time. I say but a cross over cable (looks like a regular ethy cable, but the box will say crossiver cable) or get 2 regular ethy cables (cat 5) and hook them to the router. They will be able to see eachother then.

-Q

ok DO this

1. Plug the wired computer into one of the routers ports *not the internet port* (if you have internet the Internet port should already be used) *usually there is an internet port then port 1 port 2 port 3 port 4 ect..* (plug into the Port 1 or 2 ect...

2. If the router is powered on, you should have status Lights blinking on the back of your hardlined NIC card. Check this now

3. See if you are getting an IP address (start/run/cmd/ipconfig)

4.. Use your laptops wireless recivier to connect to the wireless router.
(view wireless networks/connect to the correct SSID/see if you are getting an IP address, start/run/cmd/ipconfig)

5. I would run the Network ID wizard.
network ID can be found by (right click my computer/properties/computer name/Network ID)

set the workgroups to the same name ect..

also run the Network Setup Wizard on each computer, click Start -> Control Panel -> Network And Internet Connections -> Setup Or Change Your Home Or Small Office Network.

Startwizard_thumb.jpg

6. After that ping the laptop via the command (start/run/cmd/ping ***.***.***.***) (***.***.***.***) = the IP address of the opposing computer

and ping the desktop with the laptop the same way.

7. If you get replies from both sides you should be good to go.

8. Fireup the game, go to multiplayer, switch it to LAN, and have fun kill orcs :D

Back
Top Bottom