Unique XP network browsing problem

francob

Beta member
Hi, I have been trying over and over to fix the slow browsing speed of shared folders on remote XP Pro machines that contain 1000+ files (from an XP Pro machine). I am on a domain network, and accessing shared folders that are located on a 2000 server that contain 1000+ files is just fine. I have done pretty much everything that has been suggested but nothing seems to help. Here's the weird thing that happens and I'm hoping someone else can relate to it:
On the client XP, I already have the Indexing Service DISABLED, but there is still a checkmark for each specific drive (and I do have a map to the share I'm accessing). So, when I remove the checkmark from the 'Allow Indexing...' on that mapped drive and hit Apply, DURING the time that it is applying the attributes browsing is at perfect speed, absolutely no delays. As soon as it is finished applying the attributes it's back to the same slowness. Then, if I go back and reapply the checkmark for 'Allow Indexing...' on that mapped drive, during the time it is applying the settings it is fast again, until it has completed the attribute settings.
Can someone please help me out here??

thanks, franco

y3ah.. that ch3ck/unch3ck its3lf is m3ssing with m3 to. I think it's Windows way of p**p1ng on you :)

I ahve no idea how to fix this...
bump*
lol

-q

Youre gonna have to disable the indexing service. To do this, go to run and type in services.msc and look for "indexing service". Right click it and select properties and press stop if it is running. Then specify the startup type to disabled and OK out.

Back
Top Bottom