Help with Vista. Can you go back to XP?

Raffaz said:
Im not sure to be honest, i doubt it would be free tho

Good point. But I want to try that "going back to time" thing. I went back like 4 days, and it got rid of my virus I had. I would think it would stay since it was in the hard drive already, but this is comming from a newb. Does anybody know how to do that? I did it, and forgot. I thought it would be under time, but I was wrong!

david76008 said:
SO there is like an academic version? Whats that thou?
It is a full working version of XP Pro SP2
Raffaz said:
Its a student release, dont know where ya would get hold of it tho
Correct, it costs around $100 here so would be approx $US75.00. Any major store should have it.
david76008 said:
What is the difference? Free?
Yeah, right, lol :p
Raffaz said:
I think ya on about system restore, but that wont change ya OS back
Correct, you can not restore to XP from Vista, you will have to format and reinstall, that is the only way.

Raffaz said:
It would only make a new partition if he set it up that way. And if he had done it that way, it would have left XP intact, and created a dual boot system

Ya but he didn't say anything about his system dual booting and when you install an operating system I'm farily certain that by default it creates a new partition, unless you specifiy otherwise.

hascet said:
Ya but he didn't say anything about his system dual booting and when you install an operating system I'm farily certain that by default it creates a new partition, unless you specifiy otherwise.

Im pretty sure it doesnt create a new partition by default(someone will correct me if im wrong). And like i said before, even if it did then his XP installation would still be intact on the other partition

During Vista install you are given two choices: Normal and Custom.

The normal option will install over top of the previous OS using that partition.

The custom option allows you to select the partition/drive to which you wish to install giving a dual boot scenario.

As the OP has not once mentioned dual boot I would say it is safe to bet he went with the normal install option, thus rendering his prior XP install useless.

He has no option other than to format if he wishes to reinstall XP.

DILLIGAF said:
During Vista install you are given two choices: Normal and Custom.

The normal option will install over top of the previous OS using that partition.

The custom option allows you to select the partition/drive to which you wish to install giving a dual boot scenario.

As the OP has not once mentioned dual boot I would say it is safe to bet he went with the normal install option, thus rendering his prior XP install useless.

He has no option other than to format if he wishes to reinstall XP.

Sounds about right. Just what I did. and took almost all night to do the whole install. I'm getting used to it, except some things I dislike. But this could be another reason to upgrade some things on my system. Takes way too long for booting thou. I'll be searching around for some twecks for it :rolleyes:

What are your systems specs? What score do you get when your run the Vista performance test? Are you running RC1 or RC2?

It is a ram hungry OS, just idling with Aero turned on it consumes around 500 - 600MB of ram, when I run Company of Heroes ram usage tops out around 1.7 - 1.8GB so I'm seriously considering going to 3GB of ram as it appears 2GB is barely sufficient.

Wow!!

I only have 512mb. Thinking of going to about 1.5MB. Its just a little slow, but gets there. My pc has:

-AMD Athalon 2200+
-512mb Ram
-40GB HD & 80GB HD
-128mb Nvidia Video Card
-16x DVD Burner.

I believe thats the basics.

Back
Top Bottom