Employee Watcher

sa11977

Beta member
Hello I did a scan today and noticed 4 counts of "spyware" called Employee Watcher. I did a little research and from what I read is that it can only be installed manually. Now here is my problem, I live alone and my computer is fairl new ie: I am the only user ever.
how could this be on my computer? I am soooo confused.

john123 said:
just uninstall it...
Hello John I did that. Just wanting to know if it can be put there in other ways than manually? I have the Verizon Fiber Optic 30mb Connection and the Security system they offer. I had Norton (that was up to date) and it did not detect it. The verizon security scan detected it and Uninstalled it. This " Employee Watcher" has been known to re-install itself > here check this out;

Credit to Symantec
"Updated: July 13, 2005 05:47:29 PM PDT
Type: Spyware
Name: Employee Watcher
Version: 8.63
Publisher: www.matewatcher.com
Risk Impact: High
File Names: svchost.exe csrss.exe smss.exe
Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

BehaviorSpyware.EmployeeWatch is a commercial spyware program designed to monitor user activity on a computer.
SymptomsOne or more files detected as Spyware.EmployeeWatch.
TransmissionThis program must be manually installed.
ProtectionVirus Definitions (LiveUpdateâ„¢ Weekly) April 27, 2005
Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) April 26, 2005 "

Credit to Counter spy

Employee Watcher
Type Surveillance Tool
Type Description Surveillance Tools are software applications that monitor and capture data from computers including screenshots, keystrokes, web cam and microphone data, instant messaging chat sessions, email, visited websites, programs run and files accessed and files shared on a P2P (peer to peer) network. Many Surveillance Tools can run in stealth mode, hidden from the user, and have the ability to store captured data for later retrieval by or transmission to another computer. A key logger is one simple, standard type of Surveillance Tool.
Category Commercial Key Logger
Category Description A Commercial Key Logger is a program that captures and logs keystrokes as they are entered on the computer for the purpose of monitoring the user. The logged data, which may be encrypted, is saved or sent to the person who installed the key logger. These applications often run in stealth mode and are invisible to the user that is being monitored. Such key loggers are sold commercially and may be used legitimately if deployed by authorized administrators and disclosed to the persons being monitored, as in a business environment. The use of a key logger to monitor persons without their knowledge has been ruled illegal in at least one jurisdiction.

Level High

Level Description High risk threats are typically installed without user interaction through security exploits, and can severely compromise system security. Such threats may open illicit network connections, use polymorphic tactics to self-mutate, disable security software, modify system files, and install additional malware. These threats may also collect and transmit personally identifiable information (PII) without your consent and severely degrade the performance and stability of your computer.

Advice Type Remove

Description This product records and saves the actual text of both-sides of AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, Trillian, PalTalk, and AOL instant messages.
Add. Description This product records and saves the actual text of both-sides of AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, Trillian, PalTalk, and AOL instant messages. Advance features also log passwords, emails, keystrokes, programs used, and Web site activity. Built-in Email allows secretly emailing the monitored data to your email address (if you don't always have physical access to the PC your monitoring).

Author UserFriendlyProducts
Author Description This product has Built-in Time and Date stamps all activity. Built-in printing feature. The program runs totally hidden to the average PC user. Built-in Keyword/Phrase Alerts send you an email (including the chat conversation) whenever a user or the person their chatting to types a word or phrase (like 'I don't really like working here' or 'I stole from the company') you set up as an alert. Versio
Author URL download.com/3001-2144_4-10325456.html
File Traces
%windows%\Generic Installer Uninstaller.exe
C:\windowsupdate\ufp\ew7\csrss.exe
C:\windowsupdate\ufp\ew7\smss.exe
initializer.exe
%windows%\Employee Watcher 8.63 Uninstaller.exe
C:\windowsupdate\ufp\ew7\initializer.exe
C:\windowsupdate\ufp\ew7\svchost.exe
Employee Watcher 8.63 Uninstaller.exe
v8install_employeewatcher.exe

I sugest you get rid of norton its not good, just run your computer in safe mode.. that should get rid of it properly for you! :D

Steff said:
I sugest you get rid of norton its not good, just run your computer in safe mode.. that should get rid of it properly for you! :D
I agree. Norton sucks at detecting stuff, especially spyware and on top of that it's a resource hog!

Yea, plus when it find things it wont bloody delete them which, for someone not very computer literate doing it manualy would be abit of an anoyance.

Some of the free stuff are better :)

SA, if it wont remove it try running stinger (free) in safe mode. Should do the job! :D

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Back
Top Bottom