connecting 2 routers to each other...

likwiFIRE

Baseband Member
Hey, I have 2 NetGear FVS318 8 Port Network Switch's. and i want to connect them to each other. It works fine with the first one I had and setup, and has been working fine for about 2 years. We recently got another one as we have more computers now, and when we tried to connect it. it would not work. We connected the cables properly, but for some reason the internet and networking will not work on either routers when both are connected to each other? is there any special thing i am supposed to configure? I am really confused and need to resolve this issue ASAP. and netgear tech support is terrible and i dont ever want to deal with them again... i got an indian who barely spook english, and how no idea what he was talking about or anything.. so i just have to deal with this on my own.. any help would be appreciated. Thanx

My suggestion would to be turn off the DHCP service on the secondary switch, and allow the first switch to handle the IPs for your network. Also, you may need to disable the firewall on the second, as it may be blocking some services that are needed. Also, make sure that your are going into the WAN port on the switch, from a regular port on the first switch- if that makes since to you.

likwiFIRE said:
Hey, I have 2 NetGear FVS318 8 Port Network Switch's. and i want to connect them to each other. It works fine with the first one I had and setup, and has been working fine for about 2 years. We recently got another one as we have more computers now, and when we tried to connect it. it would not work. We connected the cables properly, but for some reason the internet and networking will not work on either routers when both are connected to each other? is there any special thing i am supposed to configure? I am really confused and need to resolve this issue ASAP. and netgear tech support is terrible and i dont ever want to deal with them again... i got an indian who barely spook english, and how no idea what he was talking about or anything.. so i just have to deal with this on my own.. any help would be appreciated. Thanx

First off these are routers, not switches.

Generally you dont have two routers on the same network. However you do. If you really want, you can make your router act like a cheap switch, however I do not recomend this.

I recomend grabbing a switch, one like this would suffice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122004

Much cheaper than routers and they do exactly what you want :)

Their are cheaper switches as well, and these will do fine. I'm just showing an example.

Back
Top Bottom