Computer Certification Hierarchy???

Cisco doesnt have stores, they are simply a manafactuer. If you google you can find LOTS of infomation about the cisco exams.

For you i'd think CCNA Or MSCE is your best bet for what you need to do.

Isnt MCSE a bunch of other smaller tests? like MCSE for WIndows 2000, MCSE for Windows Networking, ect?

BTW, I know theres no such thing as a Cisco store, thats why I had it in quotations! ;)

I would get
A+ and network + Both are fairly easy and are god starter certs.

Next MCSA if you have both A+ and network + you only need t take 3 MS tests (4 if you dont)

Next is MCSE, its MCSA + 3 more tests.

If you get MCSA you can problay get a job faster, and then work on MCSE on the job's dime.

If you want MCSE + messaging you need to take 1 more exchange test (if you took the first exchange test as a elective)

A+ 2 tests
Network + Done know dont have it
MCSA 4 tests
MCSE 7 tests
MCSE + messaging 8 tests

I paid 125$ per test for mcse, i am currently working on messaging spec.
I paid 150$ for each of the 2 A+ tests

bilbus said:
I would get
A+ and network + Both are fairly easy and are god starter certs.

Next MCSA if you have both A+ and network + you only need t take 3 MS tests (4 if you dont)

Next is MCSE, its MCSA + 3 more tests.

If you get MCSA you can problay get a job faster, and then work on MCSE on the job's dime.

If you want MCSE + messaging you need to take 1 more exchange test (if you took the first exchange test as a elective)

A+ 2 tests
Network + Done know dont have it
MCSA 4 tests
MCSE 7 tests
MCSE + messaging 8 tests

I paid 125$ per test for mcse, i am currently working on messaging spec.
I paid 150$ for each of the 2 A+ tests

dang, prices went up. when i took the tests, it was about $230 for both A+ tests and $100 a pop on the MS exams. plus i started working at Dell, Inc. before finishing up my MCSE exams so they paid for 4 or 5 of those tests if i remember correctly :D

Un_Colombiano said:
Anyhow, I read up the posts here. I am in a similiar situation. I recently graduated with a Bachelors in IT and recently a position as opened where I work. Unfortuantly, I do not meet ther requirements of "7-10 yrs experience, MCSE, Novell, and Cisco CNA certifications, ect.".

I will reiterate my previous post, what is your goal? if you have a Bachelors in IT (CS degree?) why would you want to be a grunt in IT? that is what you will be if you pursue these certs. Plus in case you didnt know, these certs can get you work if that is what you want to do quicker than a Bachelor's degree in any related field. I think you should look for something more along the lines of a project manager or procurement of IT. Maybe head a team deploying 1k+ PC's when the change takes effect at that place...that is where the money is at, not sitting in a call center changing passwords in AD or adding/removing a VLAN for new office space...get my drift???

Well I could see the moving/implementiong of 1K+ machines would yeild big bucks, but unforutantly I don't think that happens often. I am currently planning to become a Network Administrator. Of course sitting in a helpdesk answering calls and doing minor stuff. Doing things like creating/monitoring networks, upgrading software on server, moving from Novell <-> MS Network, using Cisco, stuff like that. Currently I am doing a helpdesk type of job, thats why I was planning to get certs so I could move up (either another company or this one I am currently at).

Way back when I started college (I was 17) I didnt really know about certs, just since everyone is going for bachelors I thought I might as well in Telecommunications IT. If I knew the stuff I know now 4 yrs later, I would of screwed the bachelors (just Assoc probably) and go straight for the certs. Too late for that now though, so I'll just have to get the certs after getting my bachs.

Un_Colombiano said:
Well I could see the moving/implementiong of 1K+ machines would yeild big bucks, but unforutantly I don't think that happens often. I am currently planning to become a Network Administrator. Of course sitting in a helpdesk answering calls and doing minor stuff. Doing things like creating/monitoring networks, upgrading software on server, moving from Novell <-> MS Network, using Cisco, stuff like that. Currently I am doing a helpdesk type of job, thats why I was planning to get certs so I could move up (either another company or this one I am currently at).

Way back when I started college (I was 17) I didnt really know about certs, just since everyone is going for bachelors I thought I might as well in Telecommunications IT. If I knew the stuff I know now 4 yrs later, I would of screwed the bachelors (just Assoc probably) and go straight for the certs. Too late for that now though, so I'll just have to get the certs after getting my bachs.

that really sucks ballz...! seriously, cause alot of times i get laughed at for not getting a 4 year degree. however, since im in the business, i know it isnt necessarily the quickest way into a good job...

Yeah, its kinda "assumed" that everyone MUST have a bachelors, when in reality some people dont even NEED it. Woulda saved some money while I was at it.

So then, you recommened taking the A+, then CCNA, and then for a MCSE, is there any "starting test" I could take? Thanks

i would get cisco last ... most of the jobs as a admin are more microsoft then cisco .. unless you work in a data center.

Back
Top Bottom