HELP with my apartment network hookup

Bouty100

Beta member
At my apartment at college I have 2 other roomates and we were given one WLAN adapter for one of our computers to hook into the apartment complexes internet connection. It was given the following: IP address- 172.16.39.40 Subnet Mask- 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway- 172.16.36.1 DNS server- 66.103.243.194. There are not individual RJ-45 hookups in each room and I am the one that took the adapter and put it in my Dell Inspiron 6000 with XP. I bought a Linksys router model: WRT54G so that i could try and route the connection from the WLAN adapter so that we would not have to pay an additional charge for my roomates to hook into the internet. Both of my roomates have desktops with Windows XP, one of my roomates has an external USB wireless adapter and my other roomate has one of those USB network adapters that look like a flash drive. Is it possible to route the connection from my WLAN adapter to their network adapters? If so, can someone walk me through the process please? Thanks.

Yes, Set up your WRT54G to give out IP address. You will need to turn on the DHCP.

Bran said:
Yes, Set up your WRT54G to give out IP address. You will need to turn on the DHCP.

He should just setup internet connection sharing on his laptop (However, this means laptop must be on for ANYONE to get internet access)

With ICS enabled, your computer will route all LAN traffic thru it's wireless card. This means you would need to hook up the WRT54G as an access point (not a router). Than you plug your WRT54G into your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom