2 computers. no internet...

dude_se

Proper Legend
someone asked me to help them sort out their computers. they were working fine now they wont connect to the net. one is connected to the router and the other is connected to the router via ethernet cable. both seem to have connections in network connections but i re ran the network setup on the main pc (the one with the router) and got a error message saying that the ip was comflicting with others on the network). i dont think this is the case but not sure. i changed loads of the tcp/ip settings on both pcs with no luck. what else could i try?

ugh, make sure that your PCs are set to Obtain an IP address automatically in the NIC properties. then go to the computer that isnt working properly and click on Start | Run and type CMD, hit Enter.

Type ipconfig /renew

this will release the IP address assigned to that PC and force it to ask the DHCP server(router) for a new one.

dude1234 said:
one is connected to the router and the other is connected to the router via ethernet cable.

Huh? They both should be connected to their own individual LAN Port on the router by ethernet cables.

CrossCech said:
Huh? They both should be connected to their own individual LAN Port on the router by ethernet cables.

the main pc is connected to the router by ethernet cable as far as i know. the other is connected to the router by ethernet cable in a spare port. it all seems ok connection wise. sorry if i didnt make it clear. i will try the above, cheers. oh ive tried setting it to automatic ip address. whats wierd is that the other pc connects fine and says 100mb/s speed but nothing works.

last bumpy. i will deffo try the above but any other advice before i go there tomorrow? ... i want to fix it tomorrow so i dont have to keep going over there :p

dude1234 said:
whats wierd is that the other pc connects fine and says 100mb/s speed but nothing works.

this means that it is communicating with the router just fine, but cant get out into the net...might be firewall related at the pc, router or could be the ISP. Easiest way to fix this is by starting from scratch. unplug everything including the ISP modem. let it reset by unplugging its power as well as cable to the ISP(telephone line or cable) plug it back in, let it initialize itself. then plug in the router, then the pc's, make sure they are both set to get an ip address automatically. verify they connect "Speed:100 Status: Connected"

if this doesnt work. then try one pc if that works, see if the router can emulate the MAC address of the pc's nic. if so, on the pc go back to the CMD prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL to get the MAC address of its NIC. enter that in the router interface and that should work. after all this, there isnt anything else that can impede it except faulty hardware/shitty cables

What type of internet connection do you have? Cable, DSL? some ISP's require you specify some settings in the router, such as a login and password for DSL, static IP Address if your ISP assigned you one, it seems the computers are communicating what the router but not getting out to the Net, also make sure you have everything plugged in correctly, modem->ethernet cable to WAN port on router. Router -> ethernet cable from LAN port to NIC on PC's

Make sure ICS is on aswell, that might help. Also what where they doing before it went wrong? And are the physical connections to phone line ok?

Back
Top Bottom