Problem setup with hp laserjet 4250 printer

v_xxx_v

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,

I have a hp 4250 printer and it is currently working fine on network A (printer's ip 123.101.xxx.xx) and network A's ip starts from 123.101.101.1. All computers are on network B and network B's ip starts from 165.94.xxx.xxx. And these computers on network B are working fine with the printer which on network A.

I want to switch the printer to network B. I unplug the ethernet cable and plug it in network B's jack. And try to print from my computer but it doesn't work.

I also setup the ip address, Subnet mask, gateway by enter manually on the printer, and it still doesn't work. I tested that jack and sure that jack lives ( it work fine with internet when i use my laptop to connect to it).

Hope this make sense to everyone. Anyone has any experience with this printer please help me, thanks alot.

why are you using external ip addresses? why not use private addresses with static routes/nats for the pc's that need external access?

can clients on network b ping the printer? How are the two networks connected?

use that think linsys has out, somthing for printers to hook up with the network!

Now you have to go to each pc and use Add a Printer wizard and re-install the printer with it's new IP address. The current printer icon you have in Printers & Faxes has the previous IP address. Delete it and add a new printer.

Have you confirmed that you can ping the printer with it's new IP address?

First, i did not change any ip, subnet, gateway...i just plug it in the network B jack, then try to print, but it doesn't work.

Second, i uninstalled the driver printer on my computer on network B, and reinstall it, but when it was at searching part, it can't find the printer on network B.

So, I decide to change the ip,subnet,gateway manualy on the printer, then install the driver on my computer again, but it still can't find the printer on network B.

Fourth, i ping the ip of that printer which i just changed, then repsonse is not thing. keep saying that request timeout.

After all this none of those working for me. Any idea?

well ... then you need to make sure that you change the ip subnet gateway to a configuration that works on your network b ... i.e. 165.94.x.50 (strange that you're using public ip addressing ... but to each his own). Then you need to go to each pc and add the printer with it's new ip address. You can't just plug the printer into a new network address range and expect it to work. Both the printer ip address needs to be within the subnet of Network B and the ip address of the printer icon on your local pc as to be configured for it.

Instructions to add a network printer using TCP/IP address on your local pc:

Open Printer & Faxes>>Add a Printer Wizard>>Next>>Local Printer (uncheck Auto detect ... )>>Next>>Select "Create a Port" (drop down menu to Standard TCP/IP Port)>>Next>>Next>>Type in new IP address of printer (within Network B subnet)>>Next>>then just follow the rest of the steps. Make sure you have your HP4250 drivers handy somewhere and when it prompts select "Have disk" and install the drivers.

v_xxx_v said:
First, i did not change any ip, subnet, gateway...i just plug it in the network B jack, then try to print, but it doesn't work.

Because you plugged it into a network with a different subnet ... 123.101.101.1 is not going to work within subnet of 165.94.x.x)

v_xxx_v said:
Second, i uninstalled the driver printer on my computer on network B, and reinstall it, but when it was at searching part, it can't find the printer on network B.

Because the printer is no longer on it's original subnet of 123.101.101.1

v_xxx_v said:
So, I decide to change the ip,subnet,gateway manualy on the printer, then install the driver on my computer again, but it still can't find the printer on network B.

Because now you have a new ip address for your printer and you need to follow the instructions in the above post via Add a Printer Wizard.

v_xxx_v said:
Fourth, i ping the ip of that printer which i just changed, then repsonse is not thing. keep saying that request timeout.

It appears you may have incorrectly input the manual IP address, Subnet, default gateway. All this information must be what is used on Network B ... in particular the default gateway.

v_xxx_v said:
After all this none of those working for me. Any idea?

Doing my best to help you out. :)

you need to have the printer use the ip information for the second subnet if you want it on there.

you need a printer with 2 network cards, or a router to do the routing for it to work both ways

Back
Top Bottom