Socket AM3 and DDR3?

.....and also Nvidia's like releasing 3 new video cards: GeForce 7100GS, 7900GS and 7950GT. Man, when will this end? They need to stop. I guess Dell was like the only company that sold the 7900GS with it's systems, but they were never made available to retail until now.

Yea its going to fast. Like yes, amd needs to upgrade there socket anyway but am3 with DDR3, man the timmings are like 5-9-9-15 lol (maby lower). But I think they should stop after this, Am2 and AM3 socket and that is it for a while

I aggree 100%

I am an AMD fanboy, but this is upserd! They need to make a socket that can support fast chips with low wattage and stick with it, not revise and release a difforet socket every 6 months.

X1337 said:
Ok, maby after the AM3 is out, that should be it for a while. Like socket 754 came out than socket 939 came out and lasted for a while.. That is what they should do with AM2 and AM3 and that is it!

Yeah, AMD has a tendency to keep switching sockets. First they came out with Socket 754 which lasted no longer than two years, then came Socket 939 and Sokcet 940 which was around for two to three years, and now it's AM2. Meanwhile, Intel has been using Socket 478 for the Northwood, Gallatin and early Prescott cores, and the latest transition was to Socket T (LGA775) for the Prescott, Smithfield, Presler, Conroe and Kentsfield.

TRDCorolla said:
.....and also Nvidia's like releasing 3 new video cards: GeForce 7100GS, 7900GS and 7950GT. Man, when will this end? They need to stop. I guess Dell was like the only company that sold the 7900GS with it's systems, but they were never made available to retail until now.

Heh, those three cards will do nothing. I would rather see NVIDIA devote all their attention to G80 and it's wellbeing, rather than seeing them half-ass it and cover their asses with three other cards. They're becoming like ATI now...with all those useless names for cards that are simply the same cards but modified for a different price range. :rolleyes:

alvino said:
Yeah, AMD has a tendency to keep switching sockets. First they came out with Socket 754 which lasted no longer than two years, then came Socket 939 and Sokcet 940 which was around for two to three years, and now it's AM2. Meanwhile, Intel has been using Socket 478 for the Northwood, Gallatin and early Prescott cores, and the latest transition was to Socket T (LGA775) for the Prescott, Smithfield, Presler, Conroe and Kentsfield.

yea, I still like how Intel are sticking with there 775 socket for the new cpus.

Actually, Intel will be making some changes too starting later next year. They will add new chipsets that will support DDR3 as well. Looks like we'll be seeing DDR3 going mainstream one year from today. Someething about Bearlake-X chipset. It's suppose to have support for 2nd gen PCI-e, 2x16X PCI-e graphics, DDR3 running at 1333 speed, and Quad core support.

AMD is supposed to release Socket F for servers...but this news is old..so I rusted.

Back
Top Bottom