cant do anything...

Copperhead

In Runtime
i installed xp home on my new computer but it looks like there are tons of problems, i think glitches when i was downloading off the cd. im missing a bunch of .dll files and i dont know how to install them on the computer to get it to work correctly. right now its operating like an old windows 98, i cant even see xp style in the appearences in properties. i cant get on the internet either, any ideas?

set your rom drive to first boot, delete your c drive partition, recreate it, reinstall windows.

Your XP cd maybe be dubious in it's integrity, can you use a different disk??

ive done that a few times and it still has some errors...and i dont have any other disc's so i dont know what to do now

oh and i just noticed that there is a pretty decent scratch on the cd, could that be causing the problems?..and if so, will i have to shell out another $95 to replace it?

The scratch is more than likely the problem for sure, you can buy kits to "do it yourself" or you can approach your local video rental store, they have cd repair kits and may ( I stress may) be able to recover the surface integrity of your disk (for a fee of course)

Once the surface of the cd is compromised the data retrieval from said disk is incomplete, that will give you the problems you are experiencing. The process is basically "melting" the surface of the disk, polishing out the scratch then rehardening the surface of the disk. I'd suggest the video store but also be prepared to buy a new disk if this fails.
Good luck. :)

Do you know anyone nearby with a disk you can borrow to install from? (I assume your disk is a retail as opposed to OEM and your pc isn't a brand name that requires a restore disk as opposed to an XP disk)

I doubt very much it would be drivers as you state there are a lot of .dll files missing, I presume during the install you had to hit either retry or abort several times.

As to cost, I don't know about over there in the States but I purchased XP Pro here for $99 (Australian, approx $75 US I think) not so long ago.

oh ok well i guess ill just have to buy a new oem version of xp home off newegg.com since i dont know anyone with the disc i can install from

thanks a lot for ur help

(ill give u some rep asap, it says i gotta spread more around or somethin like that first tho)

Back
Top Bottom