using 3 computers via router help

kluckmeister

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I have a compaq evo hooked up via ethernet to an ibm thinkpad in my bedroom and I want to be able to hook up a third via a router. Now my questions are, how easy is this to do and could you offer a solution to this in detail so I know what exactly is involved.

Andy.

This is not that hard to do. You can go wireless or wired and just get a router with 4 ports for $70-$100. What I would do, I have done this on a 3 computer wireless home network, install the router software on one computer. The router will be set with an IP address like 192.168.200.1 or 10.0.0.1. Open internet explorer and go to this address. The name and password needed should be in the documentation, usually Administrator with no password. This will open an interface to setup the router. It is fairly self explanatory. Setup the router the way you want with Security settings, I just used WEP, and note what the address is. I then connected the computers and set them up with the Windows connection wizard. The router software just gets in the way. The routers IP address needs to be set as the gateway for the computers and I would use static IP addresses on the computers. If there is anymore info. you want let me know.

If it's a wired router, just plug in the cable, route it through your house to where you want it, and plug it in!

Back
Top Bottom