Illegal?

I'm fairly sure that if a game *requires* the CD to be played, (I.e if there is no install to harddisk option)
and that is the main method of copyrighting then it is illegal to circumvent any copyright measures that are inplace for the protection of a product...

thats why it's also illegal to break the licensing on MP3's downloaded from places like apple to make them play on lots of devices.

The rule about being able to copy things in canda only holds true because the canadians pay taxes on blank media (audio CD's casette tapes video tapes etc) those taxes go to the recording companies... I'm not sure if any of the taxes go to software houses so I'm not sure that this loophole covers software...

Also the loophole only allows for things to be coppied from CD to CD, (since the extra tax is paid on a CD)...

So even in canada it's illegal to break copyright protection by copying something to your hard disk for two reasons.

1, it's illegal to break/circumvent copyright protections.
2, ther is no extra taxes paid on computer harddisks. the only reason it's legal to copy CD's it because when you bought the blank media you paid a tax on it to let you do it... if you didn't pay the tax, then you didn't buy the right to make a (non-profit) copy. -i.e using tools to allow it to be run from the harddisk without the CD is still illegal.

Lastly... just becaus you can buy a tool that does illegal things it doesn't give you the right to break the law.

I can buy a set of lock picks (assuming I wanted to open something of mine where I had lost the keys)... however just because a reputable company makes lock picks, and you can buy them leagally it wouldn't give me the right to pick the lock on my neighbours front door.
There are lots of DVD ripping programs that can be bought legally.... yet it's still not legal to copy films. (without express permission from the copyright holder).

David Lindon said:
If you own the original license you can copy for backup purposes
Which is exactly what I'm trying to do. However, some of my game discs are locked by safedisc... I gave a link to a list of programs that can even delete this. Would that be illegal and/or detrimental to the system/cd?

Back
Top Bottom