gone bannanas...

amysrabbitranch said:
Okay, I click on IE. It opens the window...you see all the stuff at the top (the title thing, the file/edit/view etc bar, the back forward, etc buttons, and the address toolbar, and favorites) but the place where the webpage itself would be, there is just a blank white screen. OE doesn't work either, it says it can't start because of it can't find the MSOE.DLL file, and I'm not sure how to replace that file and I don't know if that's linked to the rest of the issues. Any program that needs the internet...so like norton, spysweeper, etc can't connect to the internet.
did you try a winsocks reset? here's a program that will fix it: http://www.download.com/LSP-Fix/3003-2085_4-10417025.html
you could also do a winsocks reset, I'm not sure how to do it because I haven't done it in awhile but I think it goes like this
go to run, type CMD and type NETSH WINSOCKS RESET then press enter and it should reset. Again i'm not 100% sure but I think that's how you do it.
Also try reinstalling office too, I had to do that when got that same error and it fixed it.

What's winsocks? I assume I can download the program to a floppy because I don't have internet on the other computer...
In reseting winsock do I loose my favorites and other settings or does it just edit the registry?
(it is netsh winsock reset catalog I think)

amysrabbitranch said:
What's winsocks? I assume I can download the program to a floppy because I don't have internet on the other computer...
In reseting winsock do I loose my favorites and other settings or does it just edit the registry?
(it is netsh winsock reset catalog I think)
I don't think it messes with the registry. I used that tool once and it didn't harm anything. It's a really small program so you could probably fit it on a floppy. You could always just do the CMD route if you can't use the program.

I read that using the comand "netsh winsock reset catalog" resets something with antivirus and spyware programs though...something about something that I didn't follow well but basically they can't work as well because they are moved to a third tier or something like that so if you use that comand you have to reload any antivirus or antispyware programs. So anyway, i will try the program and see if it works, I never even heard of winsock before you mentioned it but it sounds like that could be the issue. I'll let you know if it works.

amysrabbitranch said:
Didn't work
That doesn't make much sense. Did you try putting the NIC on 10MBPS half-duplex after doing the winsocks reset? Sometimes that works. You might want to also try repairing the network connection but I don't know if it will help or not. (I'm assuming you use broadband) did you unplug the modem, and router and let them sit for about 5 minutes and then plug them in? when my computer has internet problems that's what I do.
Did you install or download anything recently? sometimes downloaded files can have viruses and malware which could cause your internet to be inoperable but I don't know. Also try using another browser like Firefox or Opera. If you're using IE7, sometimes weird things can happen, I had some weird things happen to mine when I used IE7...

amysrabbitranch said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the NIC on 10MBPS thing lol sorry I don't always speak the lingo.
I have IE 6
IE6 could have gotten malware, it is the main target of viruses and malware. Even with spysweeper and all kinds of anti-spyware programs you can still get spyware (i've had it happen before). Your best bet is to run a virus scan (not using norton, get AVG or another free program that will catch whatever there is). and try using something besides spysweeper because it doesn't always catch everything, I've had it miss some stuff so try using spybot or ad-aware. You could try setting the NIC (Network Interface Card) to 10MBPS half duplex, go to control panel then go to system and go to hardware and then device manager and go to network cards and click on it. Then when a window comes up click on Link Speed & Duplex and set it to "10 Mbps/half duplex" under value. That should do something...

None of that helped...any more ideas??
Also new thing it picked up is restarting on it's own!!! So, you turn it on, it boots up, once Windows loads in, it restarts on it's own, sometimes it will do this cycle a few times before it stays in Windows, and then sometimes if it's been on a while it will just do it for no reason!

amysrabbitranch said:
None of that helped...any more ideas??
Also new thing it picked up is restarting on it's own!!! So, you turn it on, it boots up, once Windows loads in, it restarts on it's own, sometimes it will do this cycle a few times before it stays in Windows, and then sometimes if it's been on a while it will just do it for no reason!
Did you try running HiJackThis? that will tell you if there's anything bad in there. just download it here, and then you can copy and paste the log here and then just delete whatever is in red. That should work but if it doesn't let me know and I'll see what else I can dig up...

Troy

EDIT: go to http://www.tasklist.org/ and look for your running tasks, that should tell you if theyr'e good or bad and if they're bad, terminate them and find where they're coming from. If they're a program then go to run and type MSCONFIG and delete it, actually you should do that and delete any startup programs you don't need or that you don't want to start up, then again you could also download startup control panel which is a very tiny program that runs from the control panel, just install and then go to the control panel and click on "startup" and get rid of the ones you don't want or need (best of all it's free) You can download that program here.

Back
Top Bottom