Laptop Advice

catalyst1

BSOD
I'm getting a new laptop (thanks to Best Buy's "no lemon policy"), and I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Sony Vaio VGN-FJ270/B
1.86GHz Intel Centrino Pentium M
Intel GMA 900 128MB Shared

HP Pavilion DV2025NR
1.6GHz AMD Turion 64 X2
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 128MB Shared

Both have 1GB PC4200 RAM, 100GB SATA HD, Dual Layer DVD+/-RW, Built-In Wireless 802.11B/G, and Built-In Webcam/Microphone. The HP is $50 more. I'm leaning heavily toward the Vaio. I don't plan on doing a lot of gaming, but it'd be nice to be able to run HL2 on decent settings. It seems that the Intel graphics chipset could run games fairly well, but I've been unable to track down any reliable information on this. Also, I've read a lot of reviews saying that the Vaio has poor battery life. I've had less luck finding good reviews for the HP since it's newer. If anyone has any personal experience with either of these notebooks, that would be great. Which should I get?

i would say go with the hp. you are getting a much better graphics card, and amd is much better than intel on gamign and stuff liek that. although, (sorrect em fi im wrong i think amd processors eat up the bettery more than intels. i would go with the hp.

I would go with the Sony. Since you're not much of a gamer, the power that you'll save with the Intel Pentium M is worth it. Also, the GMA 900 isn't too bad, it'll play some games with decent settings. Personally, I prefer Intel for all notebooks, AMD simply isn't up to par with Intel's mobile processors.

I would not go for the Sony as it seems me your just paying for the name! a lot of my mates have them, and paid simlar prices to mine and my note book kicks their ass!! IMO

Sony isn't bad, and they do have pretty good build quality. They're not like HP or those other companies where Acer makes their laptops. Sony manufactures their own laptops.

Back
Top Bottom