gone bannanas...

amysrabbitranch

Solid State Member
Okay so I was just on my computer doing nothing fancy and my internet doesn't work. I don't have IE, I can't get Norton to run, SpySweeper, try doing a system restore and that wont' open. (this is a different computer). I can't scan for viruses because I can't get norton to open. I can't check for spyware or anything because spysweeper won't open. I can't do a system restore because that dosn't open. I can't run disk doctor, that won't open. If a window does pop up, it it just a blank page. I was able to ping this computer, and this computer can ping the one that's not working, and it all pings fine. Checked the cord, that's fine. The cable box is fine too. Any ideas? the Microsoft programs (word, excell, etc) do work, they are about the only ones that do.
Thanks,
Amy

Sound's like you have a virus.You may have to do a reinstall of your OS system. That's probably the only way to fix your problem.

Sorry I disagree. It's gotta be something with the internet. I checked the rest of my programs. If it doesn't need the internet for some component of it, then it works. (ex: word, excel, print master, games, etc work) but something that connects to the internet (my website program, internet, email, norton, and spysweeper) don't work. I also just got an error for OE it says that it can't start becuase of a DLL file...MSOE.DLL

Try booting into safe mode and getting norton to run. just press F8 when the computer loads (before it gets to the windows screen) and then when a menu with some options comes up select "Safe mode with networking" but unplug the internet cord. Or you can just do regular safemode instead. I recommend getting rid of norton though but that's just my opinion. All the viruses I had on my PC were when I had norton. Get AVG, Avast or Avira which are all free and blow norton out of the water.

Hope that helps,
Troy

amysrabbitranch said:
Sorry I disagree. It's gotta be something with the internet. I checked the rest of my programs. If it doesn't need the internet for some component of it, then it works. (ex: word, excel, print master, games, etc work) but something that connects to the internet (my website program, internet, email, norton, and spysweeper) don't work. I also just got an error for OE it says that it can't start becuase of a DLL file...MSOE.DLL
I've had that happen before, I just uninstalled office rebooted and reinstalled it again. It could be some form of malware that's connecting to the internet. Could also be spysweeper... I tried the new version and it screwed up my PC so I got rid of it. I've heard that some types of malware and viruses can target office but I'm not sure about your situation though.

amysrabbitranch said:

Oh Ok Maybe it is your ISP server. Contact them and tell them of your problem.

But I have all three computers on the same network, and the other two work. If it was something with the ISP, why are two of my computers working and one isn't?

Norton was able to do live update...I have the Internet it seems, because I can connect, but IE doesn't work, and neither does any other program that needs the internet.

amysrabbitranch said:
Norton was able to do live update...I have the Internet it seems, because I can connect, but IE doesn't work, and neither does any other program that needs the internet.

What do you mean it won't work? Will it not start, or will it start and just not be able to connect to the net?

If IE won't start, do you get any error messages? Any error messages from the other affected programs?

Okay, I click on IE. It opens the window...you see all the stuff at the top (the title thing, the file/edit/view etc bar, the back forward, etc buttons, and the address toolbar, and favorites) but the place where the webpage itself would be, there is just a blank white screen. OE doesn't work either, it says it can't start because of it can't find the MSOE.DLL file, and I'm not sure how to replace that file and I don't know if that's linked to the rest of the issues. Any program that needs the internet...so like norton, spysweeper, etc can't connect to the internet.

Back
Top Bottom