Flashing the bios

Raytheon

Baseband Member
Can someone please explain me how do I flash the bios? I downloaded a bios for the motherboard I'm willing to buy, it's a .zip, do I put this .zip in a floppy or the .bin inside it? Also what do I do after I have the floppy with the file(s)?

First off, what m/board?

EDIT: The reason I ask is some board manufacturers have utilities that negate the use of floppies, making flashing a lot easier.

well depending on the motherborad, there should be a program that comes with the driver disk.. its a flash program that checks if its the right BIOS file compard to the motherborad BIOS, if its the same BIOS but a newer version of that BIOS, than it should allow you to flash it and you just restart the computer after its done. than your done.. What type of brand do you have?

Asus has a utlility called Asus Update, it will be on the board disk, far easier than using a floppy. You'll need to unpack the zip file and direct Live Update to the location of the new bios file, then let it do it's thing, the simplist bios flash I've used to date.

Yep, as far as I'm aware, unless Asus has changed things dramatically recently, I'm just going to look up that boards specs and see what is on the disk.

EDIT: Yep Asus Update utility is on the disk, you may get an error on first boot saying something about not supported cpu, a friend got the same thing this week with a pc he built using a Celeron because the stepping has changed, but it won't stop you loading Windows and then using Asus Update to flash the bios (as far as I know), it worked for him.

Yeah, Asus update is really easy to use, it came with my asus board and I've used it. Just direct it to the bios file you downloaded and it does the rest.

Back
Top Bottom