Home network setup

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I have a linksys wired router, and want to setup a small home network.

I have four desktop computers, and two labtop computers that I would like to eventually be hooked up to this network. Their all running windows xp.

I want to setup a wireless network, so I can have the two labtops anywhere in the house and still be connected to the network.

I want to be able to share somewhat large files, not going to be sharing anything larger then 20 mb, and I want to be able to share all the printers in the house (total of 5) which each computer.

Anyone have a good website that will help me learn and setup this network? Or could anyone here walk me through the process?

it shouldnt be that hard. just create a wireless network on your main pc using the wireless network wizard in control panel. save the settings to a flash stick like it tells u to. then run the wireless wizard on each pc from the flash stick. they should all be then connected to a wireless network. you can the add printers to each pc through control panel and click on printers and faxes and then add a new printer. do this on each pc and install the printers u want and it should then all be set up. also enable printer sharing by going onto each pc with a printer. right clicking the printer in the printers and faxes menu. go to properties and look for the option (should be under the sharing tab)
edit: you may also have to run the home network wizard. dod this on all pcs and use the same workgroup name eg: mshome

i ran the network wizard on two of the computers, and wanted to see if it was working. so on one computer i went to printers and faxes, and hit add a new printer. i then tried to add a printer, but it did not find anything when browsing for a network printer. i enabled sharing on the two printers in my room, but for some reason its still not detecting them.

go to my network places. u may have to go network connections to find this. see if you can see the comps youve already hooked up

if i go into my network places, then click entire network, i can see the network mshome. but when i open that their are no computers in their.

Let me explain how i have my house setup, so you cna help me better. I have 4 desktop computers on different floors in different rooms of my house. And two laptops which use wireless internet sometimes, and other times we plug them into the wall to get stronger internet access. All of these are connected to a router in our basement, which then connects to a cable modem, which connects to the internet. I want to be able to share files and printers though too. but as i said when i ran the network wizard on a couple of the computers, i cannot share the printers. nor do other computers show up on my network connections.

Back
Top Bottom