Getting 2 desktops on the Internet

MT1

Beta member
I have 2 desktops both running Xp one a compaq bought in 2002 and the other a new Dell. I am going to put them in the same room(bonus room) my question is what do I need to get them both on the Internet at the same kind. Which type of cable would I need and do I need a switch or a hub. I have Bellsouth DSL with a Westell 6100 modem. The computers will be less than 25 feet apart. Thanks for any info.

does your modem have more than one ethernet port? if so, then you can use 2 ethernet cords, one plugged into each computer. if it only has one port, then you will need to buy a wireless router, which will plug into your existing modem and send wireless signals. you will then need to buy a wireless netowrking card for the other computer that isnt plugged into the modem to recieve the wireless signals.

Nah, don't go wireless. Just get a D-Link or Linksys router, and hook them up like so, Modem>Router>>Both PC's

Lemme draw a little diagram in Paint really quick..

router4or.png

Thank you I was just trying to figure out the best way to hook them up without going wireless. The modem only has one ethernet port, but I have been told it is also a router.

Again Thanks for the info.

Just plug the outgoing port from the modem into the WAN port on the router (try finding one with a full DHCP server). Then hardwire the two computers into two of the four network jacks on the router through the NIC. Then once you configure the computer for the network, you should be set to go.

MT1 said:
Thank you I was just trying to figure out the best way to hook them up without going wireless. The modem only has one ethernet port, but I have been told it is also a router.

Again Thanks for the info.

That single port is what your using to plug into your compter now correct? When you get a router, you will be plugging that into a special port in the router, as shown in the picture. You need to buy the router

Back
Top Bottom