Still a little confused on wireless

dbone

Baseband Member
I finally got my wireless hooked up. I just went through my cable company, and my wife had the cable guy hook up my wireless router while i was at work. i wanted to be there to ask a couple questions because i am new to wireless and networking. i am sure my dumb questions can be answered quite easily if someone has the time

how would i go about changing the access key to keep my signal secured between my two computers?

and how would i network the two together to transfer files? ie. printing off my desktop printer from my laptop, transfer all my edited video files to my desktop, vice versa?

thanks for the help

Answer to:
Q1) Go into your router's config page, and look for wireless or security section. Make sure to use wpa or wpa2 pre-shared key (more secure than wep). Use a long password (i use a key generator and save it to a text file and copy the file to the other computer).

Here's an example: [img=http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/8004/netsec7kw.th.png]

Q2) First, make the workgroup names identical. Then, enable sharing on things you want to share.

Files: Right-click a file/folder and then click sharing and security. Make sure you allow users to change network files.

Printers:

not to sound like a complete dumb noob...but how do i find my routers config page? i know basically nothing about the router. cable guy hooked it up....

type in the first ip adress of ur network ... '192.168.0.1' you shuld get a password prompt, type in username and password then ur in the router config page

Back
Top Bottom