Securing your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Xp Pro, I never ever get viruses or spyware or hackers woot I dont know how I do it

1.Spyware-Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy

2.Viruses-Either Norton Anti Virus 2005, Or Mcafee Anti-Virus

3.Firewall-Mcafee Firewall

4.Browser- No browser is safer than Fire fox www.getfirefox.com

5.spam-Mcafee Spam Killer

I dont know I just use all that stuff, I make sure that its updated and I run them at least once a week, And I never get viruses or spyware etc....

Another good way to stay protected is to make sure that all of youre spyware and virus programs are up to date :)

And I do all of the windows updates for my computer

here are the programs i am currently using:

spyware- spy sweeper

adware- ad-aware 6 in co with spy sweeper

antivirus and firewall- zone alarm security suite(trial version <.< i also use it for backup spyware scans and windows firewall)

other protection programs- spyware blaster

i keep all these programs up 2 date, use windows update on xp pro. also here is a great site on securing your computer and cleaning it up:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

Also to protect yourself from intrusions: there are a couple that should not be missed when it comes to protection.

1) Called Blacklight , To detect malware..

2) Another is Called Hacker Defender , that link is info on it and how to protect yourself from it.

Here is another link on it incase the 1st link wont work for you.

~mr mixx~ said:
Also to protect yourself from intrusions: there are a couple that should not be missed when it comes to protection.

1) Called Blacklight , To detect malware..

2) Another is Called Hacker Defender , that link is info on it and how to protect yourself from it.

Here is another link on it incase the 1st link wont work for you.
well spysweeper has a option to scan rootkits so do i really need the blacklight thing? also i don't understand how the hacker defender works, can u explain? lol

What I use:

Nod32 - Antivirus
Spyware Doctor or Spysweeper - Main Antispyware (Which ever I feel like using) and as back-up I have Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster.
Outpost Firewall Pro - Firewall
WIndow Washer or CCleaner (WHich ever I feel like using) - Cleaner
TuneUp Utilities 2006 - Optimiser

I'm not sure what to use as my main Antispyware, cause' Spysweeper picked up something that Spyware Doctor didn't (said the scan was clean). But Spyware Doctor seems to scan faster, but it also uses more RAM and takes longer to load up (at least in my experience).

Toby said:
I'm not sure what to use as my main Antispyware, cause' Spysweeper picked up something that Spyware Doctor didn't (said the scan was clean). But Spyware Doctor seems to scan faster, but it also uses more RAM and takes longer to load up (at least in my experience).
as far as spysweeper is conserned. definatly use spysweeper. it's alot better than spyware doc. and even if it takes longer whats the big deal about that? i use spysweeper and i love it. they also just released an update ^^

If it is of any assistance, as far as quality goes. I use F-Secure's Blacklight to look for rootkits, for one main reson. they are a talented "security" company. aka hackers with paychecks. they are the type of people who could make rootkits and study their code and know what they are looking for to detect them. im sure to an extent that the other antivirus/spyware companies do this as well, however from my experience they tend to try and do reverse engineering on the virus's and such to find an identifying mark to scan for. F-Secure knows how they are made, and knows more detail's about them to be able to scan in further detail to search for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom