Flac

burton_o61

Daemon Poster
I didn't want to post this question in the hdd spaced used thread. But I was just wondering. Has anyone ever heard of the music format FLAC. That guy with the 430G of music had this format, and it mad each song 13meg each.

Never heard of it myself, but simple google search:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/ said:
what is FLAC?
FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Grossly oversimplified, FLAC is similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio, and you can play back compressed FLAC files in your favorite player (or your car or home stereo, see supported devices) just like you would an MP3 file.

FLAC is freely available and supported on most operating systems, including Windows, "unix" (Linux, *BSD, Solaris, OS X, IRIX), BeOS, OS/2, and Amiga. There are build systems for autotools, MSVC, Watcom C, and Project Builder.

See the features page for a complete list of features, or the comparison page to see how FLAC compares with other lossless codecs.

The FLAC project consists of:

* the stream format
* reference encoders and decoders in library form
* flac, a command-line program to encode and decode FLAC files
* metaflac, a command-line metadata editor for FLAC files
* input plugins for various music players

When we say that FLAC is "Free" it means more than just that it is available at no cost. It means that the specification of the format is fully open to the public to be used for any purpose (the FLAC project reserves the right to set the FLAC specification and certify compliance), and that neither the FLAC format nor any of the implemented encoding/decoding methods are covered by any known patent. It also means that all the source code is available under open-source licenses. It is the first truly open and free lossless audio format. (For more information, see the license page.)

Yeah but in there is says "FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio" Well, if your compressing it, then why did burnout say the files were 13mb each..Am i missing something here?

Because, with MP3 you can have a loss of quality it seems.. if you had the full quality file before FLAC, perhaps its larger.

Well i already read that, haha. I was wondering if if anyone ELSE has heard of it. Because if it has better "compression", then why are the files sizes 13mg +?

LOL...im too slow

Maybe it was a large audio file to begin with. Also maybe it doen't compress but make larger.

well to be honest I have quite a few FLACs, and atleast from what I'm seeing the compression is poor. Since most of the FLACs I have are like 30mb+

When you compress it, it loses quality. If you use Lossless formats, it retains the same quality of the original without any loss of quality. That's why it's so big.
It's just like DVDs. The actual format of DVD's are VOB, but it's so big that a whole movie will take up 4GB-5GB of space. That's why people convert the VOB file to AVI, which compresses the video into a smaller size, at the loss of video quality.

alvino said:
When you compress it, it loses quality. If you use Lossless formats, it retains the same quality of the original without any loss of quality. That's why it's so big.
It's just like DVDs. The actual format of DVD's are VOB, but it's so big that a whole movie will take up 4GB-5GB of space. That's why people convert the VOB file to AVI, which compresses the video into a smaller size, at the loss of video quality.

hmm, I gotta try the quality sometime. I gues the only way to really notice it is to turn up the volume, a lot. :D

mammikoura said:
hmm, I gotta try the quality sometime. I gues the only way to really notice it is to turn up the volume, a lot. :D
Yeah, I've noticed that in lots of lower-file-size music... when you turn it up... trouble. :p

Back
Top Bottom