GUIDE: Beginner's look at HTML

Spdstr

Solid State Member
Beginner's look at HTML

This is going to be a constantly updated page giving an explanation to HTML coding. I may eventually make an "e-Book" out of this with more explanations and examples, but there is no promise. I will use colons and spaces ( : ) to seperate the examples as to not waste space in my post by wasting a line I could use to for to type with. This was done simply to save people from constantly making posts when begining to learn HTML.

Explanation of Tags

To START all HTML coding you must place < and > around the coding. For example, to start every HTML page you must tell the browser that it is using HTML. You do this by typing: <HTML> : at the beginning. This rule stays the same for all HTML codes such as the BODY code and HEAD coding. Examples: <BODY> : <HEAD>

To END all HTML coding you have to do the same as starting it, but adding a / to the begining of the code. So, for the <HTML>, you would type: </HTML> : to end the tag. This is also true to all HTML coding. The <BODY> and <HEAD> tags would end like this: </BODY> : </HEAD>

Some HTML codes allow you to have more specifications for them, such as size and color. We will explore this as my guide goes along.

Extremely Basic HTML

Basic HTML is essiential to EVERY website. Although, these are things that you may not typically think of when you think of HTML design. I will cover the basics by simply looking at the HTML, FONT, and BR tags.

As I told you before, the HTML tag starts EVERY website. Although, most browsers do not require this tag, it is usually a good idea to include it just in case someone looking at your webpage does have one of the rare browsers that needs this tag. There is really no further explanation needed really, just put <HTML> at the beginning of your HTML code and </HTML> at the end of it.

Continuing on, FONT tag has many useful properties. Although, it's not thought of much when you think about websites, the font color and size that is used does make a huge difference in the way you see text. As a matter of fact, that's what I'm using to present this guide in this post, although instead of using < and >, I'm using [ and ] to modify this text so that it looks cleaner easy to find and read things.

Now that you have a decent understanding of what the FONT tag is used for, I will now tell you ALL of the FONT tag's properties that you may experiment with.

style="{font name}"
size="{value 1-7, 1 being the smallest}"
color="{hex code value}"

NOTE: The { and } brackets and their contents should not be placed in your HTML coding. They were simply put there for convenience for the reader so they know what values belong there.

The style and size tags are pretty self-explanatory, but you may be confused about hat a hex code is. A hex code is simply a group of 6 numbers/letters beside each other that represents a color. There is a Hex Code for EVERY color there is, so it's not a very good idea to just mess around with hex colors to get the color you want. You could always go on google and search for "Hex Code Maker Program" or something like that to get a program to make them for you, or you could go to http://colourificator.sitekit.net/ , a simple program that works with any Windows OS.

There is also another method to getting the color that you want, but it's slightly less organized and you must experiment with it. You simply type in: <FONT COLOR="{Red,Green,Blue}"> . You may type in any value up to 255 for each value. This is the same as a Hex Code creator program works, but it doesn't go into Hex Coding.

Now, moving onto the BR Tag. This tag simply is the "ENTER" key in HTML. It simply makes a new row for you to type on moving down 1 slot just like it does for a Forum, Notepad, or WordPad.

Basic HTML
... To Be Updated ...​

Well, I have about 3 reasons to do this.

1. To keep from so many "beginner" posts asking the same questions about HTML.

2. I can't use my 3000+ 64 Athlon until I get my OS setup correctly.

3. I'm bored.

Hopefully this shows my "true intentions" of doing this ;).

Member,
~ Spdstr

Well those are 3 good reasons and i like reason 3 ;)

Infact im writing a book for complete and utter newbs but that is another story

Back
Top Bottom