No thermal compound...

-Paul-

Fully Optimized
ok when i built my computer at the new year, i had no thermal compound so i just put the heetsink right on it... i have never had a problem so far, so is there anything i should be worried about?

interesting opinion wozlebeak. Thermal paste is used for conduction from CPU to Heatsink so you might want to put some on there. Otherwise you might end up melting your cpu. I would say, take it apart, put the paste on and put it back together.

As far as I understand, you don't need any paste on an AMD, just go for the cooling that is supplied when you buy it, which includes phase change material as thermal cooling.

LukeD said:
interesting opinion wozlebeak. Thermal paste is used for conduction from CPU to Heatsink so you might want to put some on there. Otherwise you might end up melting your cpu. I would say, take it apart, put the paste on and put it back together.

Well if there is no heat problems then I don't see the need.
And recon 16, did u buy a retail cpu? Since they come with the HS/fan and there is a thermal pad (not as effective as thermal paste, but does the job well enough) already attached to the HS.

Your mad!!!

Even AMD CPU's come with stuff already on it to cool it down. Soe kind of thermal compounds anyway in a little square...

it did not have any compound in the box... and it has been running fine for 2 months now... maybe there was a pad at the bottom of the HS i didnt notice...

That is strange how it doesn't overheat. The thermal compound should be underneath the heatsink. But you still need to tear off that little piece of paper to make proper contact with the CPU surface.

Were you by any chance drunk while building it, you didn't remember?

if you don't remember... then either there was a pad, (and you've forgotten to take the little blue plastic protector off of it as well!
or there wasn't a pad...

thermal paste isn't an absolute necessity... and too much of it is definitly abad thing...

then a CPU, and a heat sink is made they are made by a machining process, and hence there are small toolmarks on both the CPU and the heatsink, these appear as small ridges...

everyone know that metal is on of the best thermal conductors, (which is why heat sinks are made of a metal alloy (usually containing copper), and everyone knows air is one of the worst... which is why air alone is not enough to cool your CPU...

the thermal paste just sits on top of the cpu and under the heat sink to try to fill the minute air gaps that occur in the afformentioned tool marks...

thermal paste (ever artic silver thermal paste with real metal bits) it not as good of a thermal conductor as the heat sink... so opening up the case and slapping a load in can actually do more harm than good...

the thermal pads are pretty bad conductors, but they are very thin.. so there is still plenty of metal-metal contact...

if in doubt take it apart and have a look... it won't take too long... and you are unlikely to break anything by taking it apart... it came in peices...you put it together.. I'm sure you can reduce it to peices and put it together again.

Back
Top Bottom