Need backup ideas

wooonelly

Baseband Member
I work at a small company, we currently have a server that is backed up by tape. I need to backup the data to make it accessible, i.e. external HD or backup server, if the server goes down. I don't think we have the money to buy a backup server. Any suggestions on the best way to back up the databut still have it accessible?

I thought about just throwing the data on another computer's HD on the network periodically so people can access the info if the server goes down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you already running the server in a RAID configuration?
Worst case, I would setup a mapped network drive on one of the other computers, and start placing information there.

To employ a real disaster recovery you may want to look at off site storage. THere are many companies that offer this for a fee.

If it is just your basic file server and holds no user authentication data and doesn't serve any apps, then yes just back it up to a removable HD. But also back it up to a tape once a week and have the tapes taken offsite (could just be your bosses house).

Dragging and dropping isn't a backup process.

Configure windows backup to do it if you have to and SCHEDULE it!

I would suggest RAID like pctechmike said then also maybe setup a TFTP server or something similar that is off site.

TFTP??? Not only does FTP not encrypt passwords, TFTP has absolutely NO security. Not really the best choice for transfering company files to an off site location. Also RAID isn't going to bring back your files in the event of building fire, flood, or some other act of god.

If your going to do an online backup solution http://www.usdatatrust.com would be a good choice. They have an install client and all your data is transfered securely.

If your needs are simple, just use a simple solution. No need to over complicate a simple task.

user12 said:
TFTP??? Not only does FTP not encrypt passwords, TFTP has absolutely NO security. Not really the best choice for transfering company files to an off site location. Also RAID isn't going to bring back your files in the event of building fire, flood, or some other act of god.

If your going to do an online backup solution http://www.usdatatrust.com would be a good choice. They have an install client and all your data is transfered securely.

If your needs are simple, just use a simple solution. No need to over complicate a simple task.

There are ways of building secure tunnels, obviously you know nothing about that. also, if you are saying that TFTP is not a good way to backup, why does almost every backbone router backup via TFTP? RAID will protect in the event of a hard drive failure...that was not an offsite solution.

shouup said:
There are ways of building secure tunnels, obviously you know nothing about that.

you simply said TFTP and made no mention of anything else.

Don't take offence but people have come up with some pretty hair brained ideas that other people thought were great, not trying to get into a pissing match with you.

user12 said:
you simply said TFTP and made no mention of anything else.

Don't take offence but people have come up with some pretty hair brained ideas that other people thought were great, not trying to get into a pissing match with you.

I hear that, sorry bout that last post. I was up pretty late at a concert last night and got a bad headache so i didnt realize how much of an @$$ i came off as. Again, sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom