XP Network help

caintribe

Solid State Member
I have two XP SP2 computers that I am trying to network together. I have run the Set up a Home or Small office network. I can use the internet from both computers but cannot connect to each computer for shares. I have disabled firewalls. C: drives and other folders are shared at this time. Both computers are logged in as administrators. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Computer #1
Host
Workgroup: CER
IP: 192.168.0.1
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gate: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
Dialup Modem
Cannot connect to workgroup
“List of Servers for this workgroup is not currently available”

Computer #2
Client
Workgroup: CER
IP: 192.168.0.2
Sub: 255.255.255.0
Gate: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1
Can see Computer #1
Cannot connect
Error message:
“Network Path Not Found”

Thank you.

I am using a hub, mainly to get the extra port for future use. I disconnected it and hocked it up with a crossover cable and it still showed the same.

Thank you.

is it xp home or xp prof.
xp home uses the guest account, so make sure it is not disabled
make sure ALL firewalls are off
make sure both pc's are in the same workgroup
if xp prof, turn off simple file sharing
share a folder on both machines
for xp prof each pc has to have the othet pc's account ( user ) and the accounts have to have a password.

Problem solved.

Guest account does not need to be active.
XP firewall can be active as long a file sharing exception is allowed.

Norton firewall and XP SP2 firewall has a conflict even if both are disabled. Even if Norton is completely disabled it conflicts. You have to uninstall Norton.
Restart computer.
Reinstall Norton without the firewall or it will conflict.

Thank everyone for your help.

I'm having the same problem as caintribe. I've tried activating guest accounts on both machines and disabling firewalls but still keep getting \\computer is not accessible contact an administrator etc. Both computers running XP and physically connected to a wireless router. Any ideas for things I could try to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Lil_tammy

To fix your problem go into the windows firewall in control panel and make sure the disallow exceptions is disallowed. then in the exceptions tab make sure the network and lan is ticked. Then right click on my computer and go to computer name at the top and make sure in the change box the workgroup is the same in all computers. then, disallow aany seperate firewalls, and off you go i hope. Add me to msn if you have it:
funky_gibbons@hotmail.co.uk

Or PM me.

~Steven~

Back
Top Bottom