E-Mail: "you visit dirty sites"

Ever since i saw your message, i have recieved up to 125 emails from friends and unknown people, all of which contain the WORM_SOBER.AG worm, as i did some research, i found that it matches your case ... the messages about visiting 30 illegal sites ...

Virus overview:
WORM_SOBER.AG spammed e-mails are written in both German and English languages. It checks the users system for the version of the Microsoft OS that's running ... if it detects GMX as the domain, it installs one of the German versions; otherwise, it installs one of the English versions.

The worm propagates via email messages that are spammed to recipients. However, once a system is infected, it spreads by itself. The worm has no automated capabilities and must therefore be inadvertently executed by the user to install. To entice the user to do this, the author utilizes classic social engineering techniques, such as promising pictures of celebrities, or alerting the user to illicit behavior.

At least two of the English versions of WORM_SOBER.AG spoof the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), alerting the user that the agency has found evidence of the user visiting "more than 30 illegal Websites", and asks them to complete the attached "questionnaire". Launching the attachment activates the Worm. Similarly, one of the German versions spoofs Bundeskriminalamt, and threatens legal action against the users' illicit downloads of films, software, and MP3s. The email promises more details of the case in the attached file.

Another version promises a free download of "video clips, pictures and more" of Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, stars of "The Simple Life" reality television series in the U.S. Attachments are disguised as zipped files.

WORM_SOBER.AG can download and run executable files from certain Web sites that it points to. However, this worm does not seem to have any backdoor capabilities.

As of November 21, 2005 at 2:20 pm (PST, GMT -8:00), TrendLabs has declared a MEDIUM risk alert in order to control the spread of WORM_SOBER.AG.

Very interesting if you see how many people have been infected ... and how the worm spreads itself ...

yeah, I never got spam before but now I am getting it and it all either has to do w/ illegal sites or Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie which is a good and bad thing. Good in that I guess all of my Spam is comming from the same thing but bad because well, it's spam.
I've reported everyone and yahoo does a great job at blocking the sender but they keep sending it from different accounts. I'll have to see if I can block key words in the subject...I think that I can, that way it'll block it whether their on my spam list or not.

Back
Top Bottom