networking

DCIV

Beta member
Hey
So here is my problem, I want to go to a wireless network with 2 computers and one printer. I want the computers to be able to conect to each other and then both connect to the printer and all with no wires. I also only have dial up internet so it cant be anyway through the net. I dont care if its bluetooth or some other brand just as long as it works.

Thanks
Coop

you need to get a wireless router and wireless pci cards for your pc's and either connect the printer to one of the work stations or get a wireless print server. As far as your dial up and a wireless network...don't go there...ditch the dial up...get broadband. In my area Verizon has DSL for $15.95 a month if you pay for a year in advance.
after you get your wireless working and all the pc's hitting the internet, configure your security...even if not using the internet, someone could still connect...the only security is encryption ...wep id good wpa better...all the rest are fake and will only delay a hacker by minutes.

you probably want to share files too...so read this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150575

tractorboy said:
you need to get a wireless router and wireless pci cards for your pc's and either connect the printer to one of the work stations or get a wireless print server. As far as your dial up and a wireless network...don't go there...ditch the dial up...get broadband. In my area Verizon has DSL for $15.95 a month if you pay for a year in advance.
after you get your wireless working and all the pc's hitting the internet, configure your security...even if not using the internet, someone could still connect...the only security is encryption ...wep id good wpa better...all the rest are fake and will only delay a hacker by minutes.

you probably want to share files too...so read this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150575

Just to correct you there, the security features such as WEP are not fake. It is encryption but with the current apps you can use anonymous progs to break into the network. They are definately not fake at all...

Really, I suggest you buy a wireless adsl router. ( With a 4 port switch included ). Also with WPA security... That way you can get a print server, and plug that into your printer and your router, and you have near instant access to your printer. However that could be a security issue so make sure you employ a username and password for use of the printer via the print servers gui :)

Enjoy :p

Back
Top Bottom