Network troubles

sunts

Baseband Member
I am currently at work, where we have a small network of aprox 20 pcs, which are all running windows xp. There is one PC, the CEOs, which is verrrry slow compared to all the other pc's on the network.

I am an IT graduate who does not really have any experience in networking, and the IT manager cannot figure out the problem. I dont know many specs, all I know is her pc has about 40MB space...

What can i do to investigate the problem further and come up with a solution??

Thanks guys and gals,
you are always so helpful.

I was in Microsoft Word and it just took ages to copy 3 pictures!!! As i said i have no experience with networks and servers and wouldnt even know how to check the data transfer rate or anything! Ive just started so im expecting to learn over time.

Her computer was slow as a whole, im not to sure the source of the problem.

Thanks again

The transfer speed was probably slow if she was transfering the picture from one of your company's PCs to hers. I would say that your LAn speed is relativly slow. The only solution to that problem that i know of is to get new motherboards that support higher speeds and SATA haard drives, SATS meaning Serial ATA.

If it's the CPU itself though, try getting at least a P4 in 2.4 GHz or even better, an AMD Athelon64 in 2.4GHz. You won't be slow at all with that.

Also, another likely solution is to upgrade her RAM to a higher amount, or a faster speed. Try getting new PC3200(DDR400) and at least 1 gigabyte of it. RAM dramictically affects speeds. So try upgrading her RAM and see if that helps. Hope I could be of any help to you and your company.

Back
Top Bottom