Need help with Exchange Server on SBS 2k3 Standard

Mr.Si

Baseband Member
Hi all

I Really need your help!

I have just setup a server running SBS 2k3 Standard Edition which has Exchanger Server on it as standard.

I am sort of completly new to the whole thing and so have tried setting it up blind!
Now I'm assuming that dell will have installed this as standard when they pre-installed SBS 2k3 on the server.

I don't really know how to setup Xchange to route incoming mail to each user.

But basicically, I have 2 things:

Firstly,
We have a zen email account which we used before I installed the server. Now I have exchange, I want to use it as an email server for the same email address but I was wanting to route our zen pop3 email acount to all users' mailboxes on the local domain. Is this possible?

If so, how do I do it?

I tried setting up this pop3 account to work as a global mailbox, rather than a single user's mailbox. I set it up to route to each user's mailbox, but it is only going to the administrator's account now. Does the route to selected user's mailbox setting use the email address as listed in their user account settings? eg bob@domain.local ?

I think I got it working temporarily, but the sender's email was listed as user @ domain.local and that was annoying.

What I really need is a a step by step guide!

Secondly,
A few of us have other pop3 accounts which we also need to receive from, these are user specific and they had to be sent via mailhost.zen.co.uk previously, as they are only incoming accounts.

How do I do this?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm just rather confused.

Thank you all so much in advance

Simon, Sound Solutions

to set up email address policies for people other than their name @domain.local you need to create new policy addresses for your system, (I can't remember where this is done, from the top of my head

You might want to search the help files for recipient address policy.

I'm not entierly sure what you mean by Zen account, but in order to get all your mail sent to your exchange server, you'll need to update the MX records for the domani you are having them sent to...

ooh thanks,

I did a google search, having read your reply and came up with This Web Page from Microsoft's help/support pages, which I'm actually beginning to appreciate!

with regard to the Zen account I was talking about, zen.co.uk (uk's largest business ISP, or something like that) is our company's ISP and thus we have a pop3 email account with them, which I'm having trouble routing via Exchange's pop3 connector.

when you said

"but in order to get all your mail sent to your exchange server, you'll need to update the MX records for the domani you are having them sent to..."

how is this done? - please forgive me, I'm brand new to this and am throwing myself in the deep end and am drowning quickly!

Thanks,
Si

Ooooh!

I think I have realised that I have named my server incorrectly, if I want to use it as a mail and a vpn server.

My thoughts are these:

I think that a .local domain name does not work and that I would need a .co.uk (a .com is not available for the name I would need). This is because when, if at all, an email will send via exchange to, say, my hotmail account, it would display the return address as MYNAME @ MYDOMAIN.LOCAL - this won't work.

so if I change mydomain.local to mydomain.co.uk, will this then work? or am I stuck? - I have noticed that in all the books I've read, well, mainly the SAMS teach yourself Server 2k3 in 24 hours, and all the MS help stuff online, that they only seem to mention the .com domains.

Therefore I'll need to register our domain with my ISP, so that emails can be routed directly to our server, and then to the relevant user @ that domain.

Basically, I am just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to rename mydomain.local to mydomain.co.uk in order for it to work as an effective email server and VPN server if I register it with the ISP?

If so, how does one go about renaming a domaain? - Please bear in mind that I've only got the SBS version, not the Enterprise version.
I have seen that domains can be renamed, but I don't know if it is possible in the Small Business Edition, or even if it is possible to change from a .local suffix to something else, like a .co.uk

Ta,

Si

P.S. sorry if this is a confused post, it is basically my random thoughts attempted to be written!

Back
Top Bottom