Folder Permissions

nucleardoctor

Beta member
Well im trying to setup a network drive and setting it so if anyone trys to rename a folder that doesn't have the right permissions can't do it. Only administrators and users I list can do it, the other users I list can attach to the folder but can not rename it, only save work to it.

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you are trying to do?

You have a shared folder on a network, do you want to stop people renaming the folder that is shared, (they normally wouldn't be able to unless the share is inside another share or they can log onto the server),

or are you trying to stop subfolders that are inside the share being renamed?

Is this on a windows server or a Linux server?

whats the server? because on a windows 2003 server you can have the following file permissions: Full control, Modify, read and execute, read, and write. For folder permissions you have: Full control, modify, read and execute, list folder contents, read, and write. I think from what i can gather from your question you will want Read and execute for file permission AND folder permission. Or you can set limitations on each user group, e.g. Admin, User etc. so all admin can have 'full control' of files and folders and minor users can only have 'read and execute' abilities.

Hope that helps
Matt

EDIT: File and folder permissions can be set on NTFS volumes

Ok I have a folder shared. I have sub folders in side with teachers names that I want set so no one can rename the folders, only save work within the folders. We are running a Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

Back
Top Bottom