Wireless network

dbone

Baseband Member
I have never used my wireless except where I can pick it up with my laptop. I finally moved and can afford broadband. I have a wireless router on the way but am new to setting up. I am trying to make sure that only my laptop and not desktop will be needing a wireless card.
Basically, will my desktop be still wired to my modem or router, and just be picking up a signal with the laptop?

I guess setting up my network between the two will be quite easy when it gets here, but any advice would be appreciated.

Well, it might be easier to also get a wireless card for the desktop so that both systems will run wirelessly, but you can still definitely keep the desktop wired. It's up to you.

So what would be the benifit of having both wireless as opposed to keeping the desktop wired? I just didnt have any more money to spend for a wireless card for the desktop right now even though I know they arent expensive.

I would keep your desktop wired. it may cause more crap but wired is by far better then wireless. only reason wireless is around is for ppl on the go and to avoid wireing in tight/hard places.

Keep your desktop non wireless, wireless is nice, there is nothing like a cat5 connection. It will at least make it easier to configure the router. Do not forget to set security in your wireless router. Do this after you can connect to your notebook to the internet. Do these on all wireless , change the SSID . ON the router set WEP incryption or PKA , whatever the card supports, maybe turn off SSID broadcast. Also if your card is 802.11b or g , set your router accordingly. Also change your router password from the default. Another security is to turn off DHCP and use static ip. It makes it alot easier for someone to surf in on your network especially if DHCP is waiting to hand them an ip address. You should also get a firewall now that you are getting broadband, there is a big discussion about not needing a firewall if you have a router that has NAT and SPI. I say put a firewall on everything that connects to the internet. Also get a good AV, do not get McAfee. Panda is good, there program removes viruses and spyware plus has a firewall. A good free firewall is Zone alarm, the change their web site so you will have to hunt for the free firewall, not to be confussed with the trial version, they will keep trying to trick you into the pay version, when you install, again select the free...a few monthe down the road the will send you a pop up that says a critical update for zone alarm is waiting ..do not accept it will turn your free ver into a 15 day trial ver. I have had the free ver running on 1 pc for two years. There is also Kerio and sygate..both have trial 30 day versions.

...do not rely on XPs firewall it is only for inbound and does not check outbound, so if you get something on your pc dialing out you will never no it.

Hmmm, you guys must have bad luck with wireless. I love it! But yeah, there isn't much advantage to having a wireless desktop since it doesn't get moved. It's just one less wire to deal with, but like I said, it's up to you. Either way would be fine.

thanks for all the help. i use zone alarm and AVG. I guess Ill have plenty to play with with my router gets here. thanks again

I like wireless, it's great, It just is a giant security hole if left unattended AND
having said that, I also live in a large metro area where the wireless signals can come and go , or what ever do to what ever. Signal boosters work , rebroadcasters..etc, there is still nothing like walking in and seeing a wall plug with a cat5 cable plugged in. I have a wireless card in my nootebook so I can use it from different places in the house or as a OBDII Scan tool for my car, using the wireless.

Back
Top Bottom