Boosting Wireless Network Signals

dmeyer07

Solid State Member
*Sorry if this was already answered, i didn't see it anywhere though*

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 With an Intel Celeron 2.60Ghz CPU, 256Mb Ram, Built in Wireless Internet Card (Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card) (Built into computer, not external), & a 40 GB hard drive.
My question is about wireless networking. At my work I really have nothing to do all day so I simply go on my laptop, doing school work, games, etc… But what I can't do is go on the internet. But if I step outside of the warehouse I am in currently, and walk about 10 feet closer to this hotel next to us I can get a very faint signal. If I park in their parking lot I can get a full signal, still on low, but it works.

So how can I get the wireless network signal from the hotel next to us ( about 200'+/-) to reach further? ?I don't want to go and buy one of them amplification units to make it stronger if I don't have to… Is there anything I could do to my laptop, some sort of external antenna or something along those lines to help it pick up further away signals?
Any configuration settings, tweaks, etc. that I could do?

Thank you very much for any and all help,
-David

You could run the connection through a telephone wire, requires a switchbox and telephones in each hotel - or whatever. You just need a PDB switchbox, and you need to know the telephone numbers, simple :D

there is a program called net stumbler....one word of caution then onto the link. Just because you can see the connection does not mean you can connect. They may have some form of security.

http://www.netstumbler.com/

also you may be legally prosecuted by " breaking " into a network.

Back
Top Bottom