setting up a network

REGNARTS_

Baseband Member
this might be obvious to most of you but I'm new at this. I just got dsl and my dad has a comp upstairs where I want it to be able to access the internet too. I heard from other people only a computer can access the internet at one time unless you get an IP address for every computer you have that wants internet access or else you'll be penalized? My question is that what can I do to create a network that can have both comp access the internet using one IP address and not get penalized.

Thanks

What do you mean penalized?

theres a couple of ways you can go about setting it up so you can have internet on both computers.

1)Buy a wired router and have both computers hooked up to it.

2)Buy a wireless router and have it transmit the internet upstairs.

3)Run a ethernet cable from the downstairs computer to the upstarirs one.

Pros for 1)
-always have internet on both computer
-never loose the connection
-Very easy to setup
Cons for 1)
-Might be hard to run a ethernet cable to the other computer
-costs money

Pros for 2)
-easier to get the signal upstairs(no wireing)
Cons for 2)
-Harder to setup
-Many things can cause interference causing the connection to be loss
-requires you to open up your computer
-cost money

Pros for 3)
-very cheap
Cons for 3)
-if the downstairs computer is off the upstairs computer will not have internet
-Have to run wireing upstairs

I reccromend number 1). you might have to use number 2) because sometimes it's too hard to get a cable upstairs.

well, I know the layout of a network. What I meant by being penalized is that I heard that for every other computer that wants to access the internet, you have to pay extra for it. My question is that can my isp detech how many computers are accessing the internet through one ip? Maybe I just don't get the concept of a router?.....

Each computer will automatically have it's own IP. You don't need to pay extra.

Your ISP shouldn't be able to figure that out, and even if they could; the Router will probably split the speed of the connection down the middle and route to both rooms. Effectively there is no more strain on the ISP, and they won't care.

Dishdog said:
Each computer will automatically have it's own IP. You don't need to pay extra.

Yes, it's true that each computer has it's own mac address but what I'm saying is that I think it's illegal to share internet with many computers if I'm only paying for one (it's what I think anyway).. So, I'm looking for a device...router perhaps to only make one ip visible to the isp. Can the ISP detech how many computers I have connected to the router that is sharing the broadband internet?

thanks again.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Your ISP shouldn't be able to figure that out, and even if they could; the Router will probably split the speed of the connection down the middle and route to both rooms. Effectively there is no more strain on the ISP, and they won't care.

Thanks.

You're welcome. If you still really think its possible they will charge you, maybe if you have a cheap provider or something, ring them up just to clarify. It seriously doubtful though.

Lord Kalthorn said:
You're welcome. If you still really think its possible they will charge you, maybe if you have a cheap provider or something, ring them up just to clarify. It seriously doubtful though.

I doubt I'll be charge too.... I'll just give it a go and we'll see what happens..lol... btw, thanks again. You'll have been great help.

Lord Kalthorn - the router doesn't split anything down the middle. It shares the PIS with the second computer. So if the second computer is off, your internet is alot faster. It will split it down the middle if you have a server with a HB connection. But they are stupid anyway. Techincially you have a network if you are behind a router with one computer.

Back
Top Bottom